NYC/May 17: "Black and Cuba" Screening

  • Progressive Pupil
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      Happy May Day Cuba Solidarity Community,

      I'm Robin J. Hayes, a professor at The New School and former National
      Co-Coordinator of IFCO-Pastors for Peace. I'm also the director of the
      forthcoming documentary film *Black and Cuba*. It follows awkward
      street-smart Yale students as they band together and adventure to Cuba to
      see how revolution lives. In the process, they discover a history of
      struggle and triumph against all odds. The film features Fidel Castro,
      Angela Davis, Professor Digna Castañeda-Fuertes, Ché Guevara, Julius
      Nyerere, Gloria Rolando and Assata Shakur. You can see the film's trailer
      here <http://igg.me/p/92161>.

      The Venceremos Brigade, Yale Black Alumni Association (NYC chapter),
      WETPAINT and Progressive Pupil are co-hosting a special work-in-progress
      screening of "Black and Cuba" at Cinema Village on 12th Street between
      University Place and Fifth Avenue on Thursday May 17, 2012 at 7pm. I'll be
      there for a Q&A/Talkback with Jafari S. Allen, author of *¡Venceremos? The
      Erotics of Black Self-Making in Cuba*. A reception with hors d'oeuvres,
      wine/champagne and music will follow. We would love to see members of
      CubaNews and hear your feedback.

      Space is limited so please reserve your seat(s) as soon as possible by
      clicking here <http://igg.me/p/92161>. If you are not able to attend, but
      you like the trailer <http://igg.me/p/92161>, I hope you'll consider making
      a tax-deductible donation <http://igg.me/p/92161> to help us complete this
      film and share the transnational impact of the Cuban revolution and
      Afro-Cuban culture and activism with the world. There are great perks for
      donations for every budget including paintings inspired by the Black
      Panther Party and posters of Che Guevara and Juan Almeida.

      You can also support this project by sharing the trailer and our
      fundraising campaigns with your friends and fellow activists. You can find
      out more information by clicking here <http://igg.me/p/92161>.

      Thank you very much for your consideration and hard work in solidarity with
      the people of Cuba. Please email me at
      progressivepupil@... if you have any questions or if there is
      any further information I can provide. I hope to meet you on May 17th.

      Yours In Solidarity,

      Robin

      Director/Writer *Black and Cuba *
      Principal Organizer, Progressive Pupil progressivepupil.wordpress.com
      Assistant Professor of Non-Profit Management, Media Studies, International
      Affairs and Urban Policy, The New School
      @PPupil <http://twitter.com/blackandcuba>
      facebook.com/blackandcuba