LATINO REVIEW: Debut Trailer of JUAN OF THE DEAD! Cuba's 1st Horror Film!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2011
      (First, I haven't seen more than the trailer, so have no comment.
      Second, Cubans find imaginative ways to laugh at the difficulties
      of daily life on the island. I'm not particularly fond of this
      genre of movies, though I have been known to laugh occasionally...
      As you can see from the trailer, it was shot in Havana and stars
      familiar Cuban actors. Well, we'll see in due course...

      (Maybe this will be good, maybe not as some may suspect there may
      be a veiled political polemic here. Well, that movie HABANA EVA
      which showed at the LA FILM FESTIVAL was an obnoxious and vulgar
      fantasy which I haven't had the time or energy to write about in
      these messages. It's about the dreams some Cubans have of getting
      rich via marrying a foreigner and setting up a small business.
      Though that film was shot in Cuba, and appeals to the dreams of
      no small number, it's never been given a theatrical release on
      the island, and it wasn't even available to buy on the streets
      as a bootleg during my recent visit to the island.)

      Exclusive: Debut Trailer of JUAN OF THE DEAD! Cuba's 1st Horror Film!
      By El Mayimbe on July 07, 2011

      <http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-debut-trailer-of-juan-of-the-dead-cuba-s-1st-horror-film-14094>

      Exclusive: Debut Trailer of JUAN OF THE DEAD! Cuba's 1st Horror Film! Not long ago, in one of my conversations with Kelvin, we were discussing just how played out and tired movies about immigration are. We have no idea why they seem to get made because its not like folks are lining up around the block to go and see them. They’re mostly depressing and wack.

      I blurted out to Kel, "Man, if they’re going to make a movie about immigration, they should make one as a kick ass genre film. Make that shit cool. Throw in a zombie or two for good measure!"

      I have no idea how, but halfway around the globe writer/director Alejandro Bruges must have read my mind because that is exactly what he did.

      Check this out.

      This crazy filmmaker got some coin in Spain, got a Red Camera, some adventurous crew members, went to friggin' communist Cuba, smuggled bodyparts in suitcases through customs and made that country’s FIRST HORROR FILM!

      That takes some serious cojones folks! My mind is still blown how they managed to pull this off.

      Anyway, what do you get when you take GHOSTBUSTERS, toss in some SHAUN OF THE DEAD and mix it with some serious Cuban sabor?

      The result?

      JUAN OF THE DEAD aka JUAN DE LOS MUERTOS

      In the film, Havana is overrun by Zombies while's Cuba's Commie leaders insist it's just a plot by US-backed dissidents to bring down the government. It is up to the hero Juan to rid the island of the undead for money. But as the zombie outbreak begins to spread, he is left with no choice but to fight for his own survival.

      According to Bruges...

      "It's a zombie film but it's about Cubans and how we react in the face of a crisis because we've had a lot of them here over the last 50 years,"

      "It is a social comedy, it has a bit of everything. It has horror, it has action and it pretty much laughs in the face of problems."

      In other words, hilarity ensues.

      After tracking this film for quite some time, Latinoreview has exclusively obtained the debut trailer for all you to see.

      So check it out below and give us your thoughts.

      Juan of the Dead should be coming to a cool festival near you in the immediate future.

      Hasta el proximo capitulo!

      "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"