Re: [CubaNews] NYT finally quotes Chomsky!

  • stansfield smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
      I could think of a couple of actions of Chavez in the last two months deserving of criticism, but Chomsky's choice is not one of them. As I recall, Chomsky also criticized Cuba in 2003 for the trials and jailing of Cuban "dissidents."� As I recall, he later went to Cuba and changed his mind about what he said.
      From: "walterlx" <walterlx@...>
      Sender: CubaNews@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 23:09:03
      To: <CubaNews@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [CubaNews] NYT finally quotes Chomsky!

      From: lastmarx@... [Edit Address Book]
      To: walterlx@...
      Subject: [national] NYT finally quotes Chomsky!
      Date: Jul 3, 2011 3:48 PM

      The major public intellectual Noam Chomsky is a symbol of ideological media censorship, best represented by the NY Times. His radical critiques of US policy are systematically ignored and he is excluded from the policy "roundtables" on both network and cable TV.

      That censorship is confirmed today when the Times reported http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/world/americas/03venezuela.html Chomsky's call for Venezuela to release a judge, who dropped corruption charges against a weathly businessman, from house arrest The report was by Simon Romero, a dedicated opponent of Venezuela's elected leftist government and a backer of the shrinking number of pro-US states in Latin America.

      Chomsky will get the Times's attention when he criticizes an opponent of the US regime. His much sharper responses to his own government remain off limits.

      visit my website www.michaelmunk.com