Important Philidelphia Cuba Meeting

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      From: "steveeckardt" <Seckardt@...>
      Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 2:11 PM
      Subject: PHL: Imp. mtg. to re-organize Coalition

      Dear Friends,
      There will be an important meeting to re-organize the Philadelphia Cuba
      Support Coalition a week from this Monday on July 8th, 7pm, Houston
      Hall, 3417 Spruce Street, Philadelphia. Any and all people interested
      in normalized relations with Cuba and the defense of Cuban sovereignty
      are urged to attend. Newcomers more than welcome, as are those who are
      just occasionally active.

      If you'll attend only one Coalition meeting a year, this is one!

      Over the past several weeks we've seen both a dramatic escalation of
      Washington's hostility toward Cuba, and, in response, the greatest
      mobilizations of the Cuban people in history as they overwhelmingly
      reject U.S. threats and demands for a return to the days of capitalist
      destitution and dictatorship.

      Interest in Cuba continues to rise around the world, including in the
      Philadelphia area. During the last year and a half the Philadelphia
      Cuba Coalition has revitalized itself, sponsoring a series of
      successful meetings for Cuban diplomats and distributing thousands of
      leaflets presenting Cuba's views on a wide range of issues.

      Now is a good time for us to consolidate our progress, re-assess our
      activities, and address various issues not previously resolved. We need
      an open and democratic discussion of such things as the defense of the
      Five prisoners, our email policies, and how to respond to requests for
      support on issues not immediately related to Cuba. There's also a
      proposal to change the name to the Philadelphia Cuba Solidarity
      Coalition ('solidarity' replacing the word 'support'), reflecting the
      website www.CubaSolidarity.com..

      We should also have elections. A previous meeting discussed having
      these positions: coordinator, events coordinator, treasurer, and
      publicity director. Nominations are entirely open, no seconding motion
      needed (and people can nominate themselves).

      Re-affiliation with the National Network on Cuba is also being
      proposed.

      No doubt people have other ideas or issues they'd like to take up, as
      well as opinions on some of the things mentioned above. Please bring
      them!

      Hope to see you Monday, July 8th at 7pm, Houston Hall, 3417 Spruce
      Street, Philadelphia, Pa. For rides or further information, reply to
      this email or call me at 610.667.5334.

      Solidarity,
      Steve Eckardt
      Seckardt@...