Louisa Cruse

  • Jack Frost
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      I would suggest she is possibly the same person as Lucy Cruse in the 1851 census living in Yeovil Somerset born Tiverton Devon, father James occ: journeyman smith (blacksmith).  He was born Milverton Somerset.  He age is a bit out here but if she ended up a servant she may have lied about her age (made herself younger) to get a job.

      I can see no James of Imber with a dau of Louisa or anything like it.

      Cheers,
      Jack.
    • ALAN WALDER
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2009
        Thanks Jack, you may well be right. By coincidence I was trying to trace the ancestors of my mother's Uncle Charlie and Auntie Lou; fortunately they still have three surviving daughters, all in their 90's, and at first they thought I was talking about Charlie's sister Louise, then realised that their mother was Lucy. Auntie Lou was really Auntie Lucy!

        It might well be that Louisa Cruse was indeed Lucy Cruse. If she was 8 in 1851 she would have been 30 when she married in January 1874 and 37 in 1881 where she is said to have been 35 in the Census of that year, 45 in 1891 and only 53 in 1901. She was recorded as being 71 when she died in the Oct - Dec quarter in 1918, - 4 years different from her apparent birth year.

        It certainly looks as though your theory of Louisa being the Lucy in the 1851 Census is most likely. I guess it depends upon what evidence of age was required, but we do have a case of a relative who was married in the 1860's giving an age of 23 when she was in fact only 16.

        Thanks again for your help.

        Best regards,

        Alan Walder.