Exhaust Manifold

  • stickmannus
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      Whats the trick to removing the intake and exhaust manifold, 51 wagon?
    • Chuck Koehler
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        Take a box wrench--Grind the end very thin--this should work.--

        - In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "stickmannus" <gerstj@z...>
      • Papajaks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          If you don't have the wp and gen removed, I phound it helped to bend a 7"
          box into a 'U' and use vice grips to loosen. And Chuck, you once told us
          where a smaller size nut to use came phrom, but I seem to be getting old
          timer's so I don't remember. Refresh?

        • Jim Bollman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            Yep, Chuck is right make a thin box wrench and then put it away and
            don't be tempted to use it for a regular wrench because it has been
            weakened.

            I buy odd shaped and good quality but old/cheap wrenches and sockets
            when ever I find them at a garage sale or flea market. You never know
            when you may need to make a special tool. I have a whole drawer of
            these old wrenches to sort threw when I run into a problem that a
            regular wrench will not fit. Some times the odd shaped ones will work
            with out modification and sometimes not. When I modify a wrench or
            find a special shape that I use on something that I know I will need a
            gain, it gets promoted up to my special tools drawer.

            You would think with a drawer full I would stop, but I just bought 3
            more Saturday for $1. One normal but good quality wrench, a really odd
            wrench that looks like it was part of a tool kit for some piece of
            equipment and a T handle square drive wrench.

            Jim...

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Papajaks@a... wrote:
              > If you don't have the wp and gen removed, I phound it helped to
              bend a 7"
              I know the feeling-you use the ROD NUT on the inside carb stud-it
              fits and is easier to remove or tighten-----For the intake /exhaust
              you go to a GOOD hardware store and get the 1/2 inch nuts(head size)
              this will allow you to take on or off very easy.NOTE-NOTE--you MUST
              use these with any BRAJE intake-or you may wind up BALD from pulling
              your hair
              out.