compression ratio

  • mcriverbug
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 8:00 AM
      What does this mean 7 to 1, 8 to 1, 10 to 1 etc. thanks John
    • Crosleydc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 9:17 AM
        Hello, John

        It looks like what you're talking about is "compression ratio", is
        that correct? If so, then it is a comparison of the volume of the cylinder
        above the piston when the crankshaft is at bottom dead center (BDC) ,to that
        of the volume above the piston at top dead center(TDC).The comparison of the
        two volumes is expressed in a ratio fashion; for example, if the BDC volume
        is 10 times larger than the TDC volume,the compression ratio would be written
        as 10 : 1. Hope this helps....

        Dave Coudriet
      • mcriverbug
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 9:42 AM
          ---Thanks Dave, I have heard that this volume could be checked by
          using a liquid for the volume. - John In
          Crosley_Gang@y..., Crosleydc@a... wrote:
          > Hello, John
          >
          > It looks like what you're talking about is "compression
          ratio", is
          > that correct? If so, then it is a comparison of the volume of the
          cylinder
          > above the piston when the crankshaft is at bottom dead center
          (BDC) ,to that
          > of the volume above the piston at top dead center(TDC).The
          comparison of the
          > two volumes is expressed in a ratio fashion; for example, if the
          BDC volume
          > is 10 times larger than the TDC volume,the compression ratio would
          be written
          > as 10 : 1. Hope this helps....
          >
          > Dave Coudriet
        • Bob Schulhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3 9:51 AM
            The original compression ratio was 7.5 :1 for 26.5 HP

            By using high topped pistons this can be raised to between 10:00 & 14:00 to
            1.

            The fact that the crosley has the head and block cast in one piece allows a
            much higher compression ratio to be used safely
            (if you have 108 octane gas) and is why they were so successful in racing. I
            think my little race car is about up to 12-1
            and it puts out about 60HP.
            It looks like what you're talking about is "compression ratio",
            is
            that correct? If so, then it is a comparison of the volume of the cylinder
            above the piston when the crankshaft is at bottom dead center (BDC) ,to
            that
            of the volume above the piston at top dead center(TDC).The comparison of
            the
            two volumes is expressed in a ratio fashion; for example, if the BDC
            volume
            is 10 times larger than the TDC volume,the compression ratio would be
            written
            as 10 : 1. Hope this helps....

            Dave Coudriet

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor