Car not going in reverse

  • crosleyhotshot
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 7:10 AM
      I need help quick...Barney for some reason will drive backwards about
      10 feet and then the rear just locks like somebody slammed on the
      brakes. He can go forward all day long. He has a rebuilt rear and new
      u-joint under him. I have drove him with the new rear and had no
      problems this locking just started in the past couple days. If
      anybody has any ideas please let me know as I would love to get him
      out and bring him to wauseon.
    • Papajaks@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 8:20 AM
        sounds like a bolt came loose [which they must have a tendency to do since
        ive had rears with the bolts drilled phor wiring to prevent loosening]. pull
        that differential cover or that new rear is gonna be an old one.

      • chuckhk1941
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 10:06 AM
          The rear is a good start--if it is OK go to the trans & check the
          reverse idler gear--- In Crosley_Gang@y..., Papajaks@a... wrote:
          > sounds like a bolt came loose [which they must have a tendency to
          do since
          > ive had rears with the bolts drilled phor wiring to prevent
          loosening]. pull
          > that differential cover or that new rear is gonna be an old one.

        • BUTCH WILLIAMS
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 10:19 AM
            Hello,

            I'm rather new to the group, what model do you have and what type of brakes does it have on it?

            Have you tried jacking up the rear end (both tires off of the ground) and running it reverse that way to see if only one wheel locks up?

            Butch
            Someone inquired:

            I need help quick...Barney for some reason will drive backwards about
            10 feet and then the rear just locks like somebody slammed on the
            brakes. He can go forward all day long. He has a rebuilt rear and new
            u-joint under him. I have drove him with the new rear and had no
            problems this locking just started in the past couple days. If
            anybody has any ideas please let me know as I would love to get him
            out and bring him to wauseon.

          • Shawn Robinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 10:30 AM
              Well I have checked the bolts and no problem there. It is a 50 with the hydaulic brakes on it. I have jacked up the rear and the wheels spin just fine.

              >>> chuckhk@... 07/01/02 01:06PM >>>
              The rear is a good start--if it is OK go to the trans & check the
              reverse idler gear--- In Crosley_Gang@y..., Papajaks@a... wrote:
              > sounds like a bolt came loose [which they must have a tendency to
              do since
              > ive had rears with the bolts drilled phor wiring to prevent
              loosening]. pull
              > that differential cover or that new rear is gonna be an old one.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Smedley, Barry
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1 10:50 AM
                Shawn, have you checked the tyranny? Just a thought. Barry.

                Well I have checked the bolts and no problem there. It is a 50 with the
                hydaulic brakes on it. I have jacked up the rear and the wheels spin just
                fine.

                >>> chuckhk@... 07/01/02 01:06PM >>>
                The rear is a good start--if it is OK go to the trans & check the
                reverse idler gear--- In Crosley_Gang@y..., Papajaks@a... wrote:
                > sounds like a bolt came loose [which they must have a tendency to
                do since
                > ive had rears with the bolts drilled phor wiring to prevent
                loosening]. pull
                > that differential cover or that new rear is gonna be an old one.

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2174088.3620944.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050646
                60:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • jimking37@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 5:39 PM
                  Hi!!! We have a '64 Rambler American that did the same thing. Check the
                  brakes, that where our problem was. Let us know,,, Jim