Re: [Crosley_Gang] installing anti-sway bar on VC

  • Crosleydc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      Hi Bill,

      There WAS a fatory bar available.It's in a factory service letter(s-96)
      dated Feb. 8 1952. Details of it are found in the "collection of factory
      service letters'46 - '52" sold by Service Motors.

      Here it is:

      TO: ALL DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS

      We are pleased to announce the availability of a Rear Axle Stabilizer Bar Kit
      for installation in all VC models.

      The installationof this kit eliminates rear body "sway and rear tire scuffing
      on the suspension system. The kit is completewith allmounting parts included.

      The installation of this kit is simple and requires about 15 - 30 minutes.

      The procedure is as follows:

      1. Remove L.H. axle bumper from the mounting bracket on the frame. Install
      upper stabilizer bracket between bumper and frame bracket with stabilizer
      mounting plate face parallel to rear axle and UP towards the body.

      2. Remove R.R. shock absorber mounting bolt and install the lower stabilizer
      bar bracket between bolt head and shock bracket with stabilizer mounting plate
      face toward the front of vehicle.
      3. Install stabilizer bar with the bend UP towards the body,withrubber
      bushings,bolts,nuts,washers to the mounting brackets and securely lock all
      bolts,nuts,etc.

      Parts letter p-49 dated Feb.8,1951 advises you of prices,etc. concerning this
      kit.

      Yours very truly,

      Crosley Motors,Inc.

      Wayne D.Van Atta, Jr.
      National Service Manager.

    • Jim Bollman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        Glad Dave had the directions. I had one on the SS I use to have and
        took it off after one Summer. Assuming mine was installed correctly, I
        don't remember how it was setup, the rear suspension was so stiff with
        it on that it caused everything to shake loose. The body had to shift
        side ways to go down when you hit a bump.

        Jim...

        On Apr 30, 2004, at 11:39 PM, crosmobill2 wrote:

        > I have a NOS anti-sway bar for the rear of My VC , But cannot find
        > any way for it to mount using the existing factory mounting brackets,
        > does anyone have a drawing or photo of the proper mounting procedure
        > for this unit?Or know where it is shown or can be found. Thanks Bill

      • Chuck Koehler
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2004
          The sway bar MUST go from the longest point you can make it unless
          it's a WATS link--if installed correctly it will give no problems to
          up & down travel--NOTE-do NOT use urethane bushings--use rubber-
          rubber gives --the other doesn't--smother ride with
          rubber. ---