Early spring drive (Crosley, of course!)

  • Steve Turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 6:36 PM
      Hi all; Last Sunday being warm (by Michigan standards), sunny with the
      roads beckoning, I decided to start up the little wagon. I don't remember
      the last time I did so, but I found one of my warm, winter hats on the
      passenger seat as I opened the door to pull the hood release. After
      checking the fluids, tires etc. I looked in the drip pan and found quite a
      bit of anti freeze there! Searching around I found no obvious leak at the
      hoses, water pump or radiator, though the later was a 'bit' low. I filled
      it up with distilled water and then primed the carb before climbing in and
      starting the old gal up. After several coughs and some choking (ha, ha) she
      sprang to life and we were off on a brief jaunt down the road. I watched
      the gauges, especially the temp just in case the recently added fluid
      deserted me en route. All went well and we returned home, the car warmed up
      but running just fine and me with a smile for having enjoyed the experience
      of sailing down the road in that cool little car. Before putting her away,
      I rechecked the radiator and underneath for any signs of leaking fluid, but
      found none. While I am pleased that nothing happened on the trip, I wonder
      about all that anti freeze in the drip pan. Is it safe to have some one run
      a pressure test on the radiator to check it for leaks while it is still in
      the car? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help! Steve

    • BARRY SEEL
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 6:45 PM
        On older engines the side gaskets seep, and the water pump shaft
        seeps. After running the engine and getting it up to temp usually
        plugs these leaks for awhile, or until next winter. Anti-freeze will
        leak very easily when it's cold.
        Barry

        --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Turner" <karknut61@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all; Last Sunday being warm (by Michigan standards), sunny with
        the
        > roads beckoning, I decided to start up the little wagon. I don't
        remember
        > the last time I did so, but I found one of my warm, winter hats on
        the
        > passenger seat as I opened the door to pull the hood release.
        After
        > checking the fluids, tires etc. I looked in the drip pan and found
        quite a
        > bit of anti freeze there! Searching around I found no obvious leak
        at the
        > hoses, water pump or radiator, though the later was a 'bit' low. I
        filled
        > it up with distilled water and then primed the carb before climbing
        in and
        > starting the old gal up. After several coughs and some choking
        (ha, ha) she
        > sprang to life and we were off on a brief jaunt down the road. I
        watched
        > the gauges, especially the temp just in case the recently added
        fluid
        > deserted me en route. All went well and we returned home, the car
        warmed up
        > but running just fine and me with a smile for having enjoyed the
        experience
        > of sailing down the road in that cool little car. Before putting
        her away,
        > I rechecked the radiator and underneath for any signs of leaking
        fluid, but
        > found none. While I am pleased that nothing happened on the trip,
        I wonder
        > about all that anti freeze in the drip pan. Is it safe to have
        some one run
        > a pressure test on the radiator to check it for leaks while it is
        still in
        > the car? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help! Steve

        available.
        > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-
        us&page=hotmail/es2&ST=1/go/onm00200362ave/direct/01/
      • Randy C
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 6:47 PM
          During periods of storage the water pump shaft is prone to weap. Running
          the engine again usually cures the problem. If not, do the adjustment.
          Storing a tin block [ Cobra ] Crosley requires draining the cooling system.
          The CIBA block can be stored over the winter with coolant in it as long as
          it has proper anti-rust of a good grade coolant.

          Randy