Re: Cobra Cam Cover Conundrum

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
      Cut;
      with all due respect to Don, please do not sand blast that cam cover. the insignia is far too delicate and I am afraid that the blasting media will remove it with the rust. Please conside a more gentle media than sand to preserve it.
      Dave
    • Peter Berard
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
        Here's one of the other types.  Mine's missin' the lid.
      with all due respect to Don, please do not sand blast that cam cover. the insignia is far too delicate and I am afraid that the blasting media will remove it with the rust. Please conside a more gentle media than sand to preserve it.
      Dave

    • James Watson
      Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
        Soda blast is gentle. James

        James Watson
        jmw1461@...

        with all due respect to Don, please do not sand blast that cam cover. the insignia is far too delicate and I am afraid that the blasting media will remove it with the rust. Please conside a more gentle media than sand to preserve it.
        Dave

      • cutworm1959
        Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
          Thanks everybody! Yall so good to me. I figger stickin it in a MOLASSES and water bucket for a week or too. Stuff comes out looking polished. Cut

          --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, James Watson <jmw1461@...> wrote:

          > Soda blast is gentle. James
          >

          > James Watson
          > jmw1461@...

        • Peter Berard
          Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
              Wormy,
            I  sometimes soak my Christmas ham in molasses and water, however, it still looked like a pig's butt.
             Mebbie I ain't leavin' it in long enough.
            Thanks everybody! Yall so good to me. I figger stickin it in a MOLASSES and water bucket for a week or too. Stuff comes out looking polished. Cut

            --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, James Watson <jmw1461@...> wrote:

            > Soda blast is gentle. James
            >

            > James Watson
            > jmw1461@...

          • cutworm1959
            Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
              Petey, Dr Pepper does a great job on ham. Crushed ginger snap cookies an yaller mustard for the outside. cut

              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Berard" <berard_m@...> wrote:

              > Wormy,
              > I sometimes soak my Christmas ham in molasses and water, however, it still looked like a pig's butt.
              > Mebbie I ain't leavin' it in long enough.

            • Peter Berard
              Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                 Isle git wiff U off the thread.  Wee gut to talk......p
                Petey, Dr Pepper does a great job on ham. Crushed ginger snap cookies an yaller mustard for the outside. cut

                --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Berard" <berard_m@...> wrote:

                > Wormy,
                > I sometimes soak my Christmas ham in molasses and water, however, it still looked like a pig's butt.
                > Mebbie I ain't leavin' it in long enough.

              • Seb
                Message 8 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                  I think Jim B. is right..My CC is late 47', came with the big generator and I have the original Cobra engine with crankcase fill tube, no breather in cover and a tube out the back of the block with the reminants of a rubbur hose clamped on..I also have another Cobra engine with small generator the same way,two more Cobra blocks with rear breather tube [don't know if any Cobras were with out that tube]..I picked up a valve cover, cobra plain embossed type on E bay thinking it was different; and it was untill now when I found I all ready had two..Never noticed..Me be shade of red...
                • Jim_Bollman
                  Message 9 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                    This an early 47 when the towershaft/cam gears were still straight cut. Note it has no rear breather and no filler but has cam cover breather.
                    <http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Tin_CarbSide.JPG>
                    <http://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Tin_DistSide.JPG>

                    Jim...

                    --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Seb" <speedoo51@...> wrote:

                    > I think Jim B. is right..My CC is late 47', came with the big generator and I have the original Cobra engine with crankcase fill tube, no breather in cover and a tube out the back of the block with the reminants of a rubbur hose clamped on..I also have another Cobra engine with small generator the same way,two more Cobra blocks with rear breather tube [don't know if any Cobras were with out that tube]..I picked up a valve cover, cobra plain embossed type on E bay thinking it was different; and it was untill now when I found I all ready had two..Never noticed..Me be shade of red...

                  • butch46988
                    Message 10 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                      Yep, that tube on the back is strictly and oil return passage. We have quite a few of those laying around here.

                      Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

                      Message 11 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                        Sorry Butch but it is a breather. Somewhere I have pictures of it extending down the firewall and sticking down in the air stream with an angle cut to the bottom of the tube. the air stream is suppose to suck the oil vapor out and spray it on the bottom of the car to reduce rust.

                        Jim...

                        Message 12 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                          Jim,

                          I think that the one in your picture just returns oil from the cam chamber, back to the crankcase.

                          The CIBA blocks had a passage cast into the rear of the motor for that purpose but the COBRAS had an external tube for that function.

                          The vent tube was located higher, above the floor of the cam chamber.

                          Message 13 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                            The tube I was talking about is the higher one, it is just a nub out the back that connects to the firewall tube with a short piece o rubber.

                            I think we are arguing about two different tubes. :-)

                            Message 14 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                              Jim,

                              I think that we are discussing the same tube, the ONE that I can NOT see in your photos.

                              If the "upper, breather tube" is there, I can't see it, all that I see is the vertical oil drain.

                              Message 15 of 24 , Aug 1, 2013
                                The pictures I reference is an early block that does not have the breather, that is why I referenced it. Seb had said he never saw one that didn't have the tube. I'l have to dig out a later block and take photos to show the tube.

                                Jim...

                                --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "butch46988" <butch@...> wrote:

                                > Jim,
                                >
                                > I think that we are discussing the same tube, the ONE that I can NOT see in your photos.
                                >
                                > If the "upper, breather tube" is there, I can't see it, all that I see is the vertical oil drain.
                                >
                                > Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net
                                >
                                > --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Bollman" <Jim.Bollman@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > The tube I was talking about is the higher one, it is just a nub out the back that connects to the firewall tube with a short piece o rubber.
                                > >
                                > > I think we are arguing about two different tubes. :-)
                                > >
                                > > Jim...
                                > >
                                > > --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "butch46988" <butch@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Jim,
                                > > >
                                > > > I think that the one in your picture just returns oil from the cam chamber, back to the crankcase.
                                > > >
                                > > > The CIBA blocks had a passage cast into the rear of the motor for that purpose but the COBRAS had an external tube for that function.
                                > > >
                                > > > The vent tube was located higher, above the floor of the cam chamber.
                                > > >
                                > > > Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

                              • Paul
                                Message 16 of 24 , Aug 2, 2013
                                  just don't do your ham the way I did one Easter. soaked it in a thin cherry jello that I didn't let kick.
                                  flavor was incredible, BUTT the soak took all the smoked ham color out of it. was fully cooked before
                                  I started, then cooked more and served warm. everybody was afraid it wasn't cooked at all, pretty pink,
                                  looked just like a raw fresh ham.  paul