Re: Getting Ready for Wauseon

  • Tony & Melanie Jacobes
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
      putting my new windshield  gasket in from service motors ! need some pointers got one glass in no problem but drivers side is being a big no go ! cant get them to move with soap even to get space for center strip what should I do ?? how is correct process ?
    • Peter Berard
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
           Tony,
           I use a method my dad taught me in the 40s, when flat windshields were the norm.
          First, get son tough spall string, I got the nylon kind typically used to snap a chock line.
        put the rubber over the windshield glass and place the string in the dish washing soap lubricated outside grove. Slide the rubber onto the bottom body flange and force it tight to the outside flange. with someone holding the glass tightly outward to the outside flange. Pull the string from inside the car gently while shoehorning a bit with a bent screwdriver. Work slowly, and you might have to try this several times till ya get the hang of it.

          Now, I found the present day rubbers to be quite fat so a lot of coursing will be needed.

           Of course the size of the glass is critical, but I had mine cut using the old glass for a pattern, so I have to blame the rubbers. I'd have made  the glass a eighth inch smaller in width and height if I'd known this, but I still got em in.
          Hope this helps...............p

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
          I could roll it in but couldn't get  it to go out to the edges right so center bar fit in these were original glass but now I managed to break the drivers side so I will make it a little smaller  when I have them order  how do you get them to go out to the sides I used hand soap in spray bottle  to soak them even no go ?? thanks
        • Peter Berard
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
              I used a block of soft wood, like a 10 inch or so pine 2x4. Laid it edge wise and drove them out with a hammer. There, of course, is a risk. Ya gotta be careful, but that's how I did mine.
              I think any kind of soap is good as long as it's slickery.

              By the way, old glass is always more brittle than fresh stuff, and glass is, in fact flexible.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013

              Pete,
              you ain't left yet? or having Wi Fi on the road? I thought the only of us
              to be left behind at this point were either fixing Crosleys to take or old
              and waiting for doctor appointments to be done, then heading out.
              u gonna ase the east route to I70 or come up I75 or already wandering
              like last year and doing the circuitous (word for the day) route?  paul
            • Peter Berard
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                  Nope, sorry Paul, but we ain't gonna make the pull this year. Added on to our home and blew the whole wad of savings.
                  Mebbie next year............p
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                  Dangonnit Pete,
                  yours was one of the hands I wanted to shake. several others too, but wanted to put a face to the
                  name. more space for the home or more garage/barn space? don't matter, space is good and if you
                  wanted it then it's worth the doing. heck I remember faces better than names, maybe next year and
                  I won't have to be so confused trying to keep a bunch of faces in my peabrain.  besides, somebody
                  has to keep the Crosley Gang at home in line, sorry it has to be you.    paul

                  On 7/9/2013 12:40 PM, Peter Berard wrote:

                    Nope, sorry Paul, but we ain't gonna make the pull this year. Added on to our home and blew the whole wad of savings.

                • Jim_Bollman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                    We pulled into the fairgrounds about 10 this morning. Fair number already here and running around in Coftons and Crosleys. Been a steady stream coming in all day. Currently raining so I think the downtown cruise will be off for tonight.

                    Current weather report is for scatter showers tonight and tomorrow then clear and sunny the rest of the week.

                    Jim...
                  • Peter Berard
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                         Boy, that sounds great Uncle Jimmy.
                      Wish we could be there..............pb&j
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                           Well Paul, tell ya what.    I don't think ya should git excited bout knot seeing my face.  Gals that praised my looks 60 years ago will run the other way now. I always felt boy folks should'da been born as ugly as a sneaker shoe, and then morph into a 10 point deer.

                          But then, that might not hold too much future for me as a deer.

                          When Julie and I plot our annual road excursions we usually include Wauseon in July.  That'll hopefully happen next year, so we might lock horns................pb&j

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013

                          -Steve M.

                          We pulled into the fairgrounds about 10 this morning. Fair number already here and running around in Coftons and Crosleys. Been a steady stream coming in all day. Currently raining so I think the downtown cruise will be off for tonight.

                          Current weather report is for scatter showers tonight and tomorrow then clear and sunny the rest of the week.

                          Jim...

                        • Chuck
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 9, 2013
                            We share the tree this year----I hope it dries off by friday----May need to move to a drier spot.