Re: [Crosley_Gang] Re: Need mechanical diagnosis help

  • RON MARSON
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 5:56 AM
      I had a similar problem with my Hotshot. I found that the weights in the distributor were sticking. WD-40 to the rescue!

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 6:27 AM
        You may want to do some more cleaning Ron. Over time WD-40 will gum up the works, then you add more, works for a shorter time, you add more, works even shorter time .....

        Clean with real cleaner/oil or other cleaning method then light oil, to much oil will fling around and get on points. I find that gun cleaner/oil works good on a lot of these kind of application where you don't really have rust just gummed up moving parts.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2 5:13 AM
          thanks

          You may want to do some more cleaning Ron. Over time WD-40 will gum up the works, then you add more, works for a shorter time, you add more, works even shorter time .....

          Clean with real cleaner/oil or other cleaning method then light oil, to much oil will fling around and get on points. I find that gun cleaner/oil works good on a lot of these kind of application where you don't really have rust just gummed up moving parts.

          --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, RON MARSON <marsonron@...> wrote:

          > I had a similar problem with my Hotshot. I found that the weights in the distributor were sticking. WD-40 to the rescue!

        • Peter Berard
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2 2:29 PM

            Uncle Jimmy,

              Quite interesting about WD, because, as in the words of the "Home Home On The Range" song;

            I never had heard
            A disparaging word
            And the skies were not cloudy all day

             I use WD to preserve some firearms that have never been shot outside of factory line bore.
               I have placed my faith in WD 40 for a preservative, but not so much a penetrating oil. However, I still rub them down with gun oil.
            I use a whole different product for a penetrant to bust rust.
             Might be it's the gummy qualities that preserves. I dunno.

              There never has been a remote sign of rust or blemish, or I'd a had a  ^&*$%#@ fit.

             Howsomeverandfurthermore, they remain virgin, and I'd not want to ruin such.

              So, tell me more, PLEASE.    I need to know if I have been making a mistake.

             Sears'ly.  In the past years, you and I have been of the same opinion and faith, with respect to lubricants, so I'll yield the bench to you.............p
            You may want to do some more cleaning Ron. Over time WD-40 will gum up the works, then you add more, works for a shorter time, you add more, works even shorter time .....

            Clean with real cleaner/oil or other cleaning method then light oil, to much oil will fling around and get on points. I find that gun cleaner/oil works good on a lot of these kind of application where you don't really have rust just gummed up moving parts.

            --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, RON MARSON <marsonron@...> wrote:

            > I had a similar problem with my Hotshot. I found that the weights in the distributor were sticking. WD-40 to the rescue!

          • Jim_Bollman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2 6:41 PM
              Do a google search on WD-40 and guns, you will find some that use it and a lot that will tell you not to. I don't think it will cause rust but you may gum up the works with long storage so you have to work harder cleaning later. I find modern gun cleaner/oil to be good on a lot of things besides guns, even my wife's sewing machine. I'm partial to G96 myself but there are several good ones.

              I use to use a lot of WD-40, bought it in gallon cans, used a pump oil can to apply. After I started using other things in aerosol cans I left a partial gallon and the pump can set on the shelf for a several years. The pump can would not pump any more and it was kind of slimy inside, I looked in the gallon can and it look like snot floating around in oil. Then I read where it gummed up car clocks and speedometers over time and I just stopped using it at all. Just my experience and what I've read, your experience may not match.

              Jim...

              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Berard" <berard_m@...> wrote:

              > Uncle Jimmy,
              >
              > Quite interesting about WD, because, as in the words of the "Home Home On The Range" song;
              >
              > I never had heard
              > A disparaging word
              > And the skies were not cloudy all day
              >
              > I use WD to preserve some firearms that have never been shot outside of factory line bore.
              > I have placed my faith in WD 40 for a preservative, but not so much a penetrating oil. However, I still rub them down with gun oil.
              > I use a whole different product for a penetrant to bust rust.
              > Might be it's the gummy qualities that preserves. I dunno.
              >
              > There never has been a remote sign of rust or blemish, or I'd a had a ^&*$%#@ fit.
              >
              > Howsomeverandfurthermore, they remain virgin, and I'd not want to ruin such.
              >
              > So, tell me more, PLEASE. I need to know if I have been making a mistake.
              >
              > Sears'ly. In the past years, you and I have been of the same opinion and faith, with respect to lubricants, so I'll yield the bench to you.............p

            • butch46988
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2 7:17 PM
                Jim,

                I read an online sewing service center's mechanic suggestions, he highly recommended synthetic engine oil (specific was Mobil ONE, 0-W-30, or similar) for all oil lube points on sewing machines. Synthetic grease for gears and other "grease type" lube points.

                Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

                --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Bollman" <Jim.Bollman@...> wrote:

                > Do a google search on WD-40 and guns, you will find some that use it and a lot that will tell you not to. I don't think it will cause rust but you may gum up the works with long storage so you have to work harder cleaning later. I find modern gun cleaner/oil to be good on a lot of things besides guns, even my wife's sewing machine. I'm partial to G96 myself but there are several good ones.
                >
                > I use to use a lot of WD-40, bought it in gallon cans, used a pump oil can to apply. After I started using other things in aerosol cans I left a partial gallon and the pump can set on the shelf for a several years. The pump can would not pump any more and it was kind of slimy inside, I looked in the gallon can and it look like snot floating around in oil. Then I read where it gummed up car clocks and speedometers over time and I just stopped using it at all. Just my experience and what I've read, your experience may not match.
                >
                > Jim...
              • Smedley, Barry
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3 2:56 AM

                  I have been a sewing machine mechanic for almost 40 years, and we use a lightweight (10 weight) on all the sewing machine I work on, plus I have soaked a many Crosley parts in it to free them up and it almost always works.

                                                      Barry Smedley