Crofton Bug Wheel and master Cylinders

  • Ron Gaydis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
      Howdy Group,

      I need front and rear wheel cylinders and a master cylinder for a 1960 Crofton Bug.

      Are these available as Crosley parts?

      Anyone know part numbers or suppliers?

      Is rebuilding my only option?

      Thanks in Advance,

      Ron

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012

        Ron,

        I, too, have a '60 Crofton Bug.  If you have the single piston cast aluminum Lucas Girling 3/4 inch wheel cylinder, it is the same part as the rear wheel cylinder of '63 Triumph Spitfire.  All 4 wheel cylinders are the same.  This wheel cylinder actually slides back and forth in the backing plate and is held in place with a clip.  A great source for the wheel cylinders is Spit Bits in California .  They are on the web.  Price is around $17 each.  If you go to NAPA you'll pay around $38 each.  Off the top of my head, I can't remember the cross reference for the master cylinder.

        -Steve Miller

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
          Steve,

          Thanks for the info. Yes they are the single piston style

          I will check NAPA to see if the wheel cylinders are a match

          Ron

          --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

          > Ron,
          >
          > I, too, have a '60 Crofton Bug. If you have the single piston cast aluminum
          > Lucas Girling 3/4 inch wheel cylinder, it is the same part as the rear wheel
          > cylinder of '63 Triumph Spitfire. All 4 wheel cylinders are the same. This
          > wheel cylinder actually slides back and forth in the backing plate and is
          > held in place with a clip. A great source for the wheel cylinders is Spit
          > Bits in California. They are on the web. Price is around $17 each. If you
          > go to NAPA you'll pay around $38 each. Off the top of my head, I can't
          > remember the cross reference for the master cylinder.
          >

          > -Steve Miller
          >

          > _____

        • Peter Berard
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
              Here's another great source I've used for 30 years.  On line catalog here...................p  http://www.victoriabritish.com/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
              I just ordered the 4 wheel cylinders and hold down kits

              There are no numbers on the Master Cylinder so any help would be greatly appreciated

              Thanks,

              Ron

              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

              > Ron,
              >
              > I, too, have a '60 Crofton Bug. If you have the single piston cast aluminum
              > Lucas Girling 3/4 inch wheel cylinder, it is the same part as the rear wheel
              > cylinder of '63 Triumph Spitfire. All 4 wheel cylinders are the same. This
              > wheel cylinder actually slides back and forth in the backing plate and is
              > held in place with a clip. A great source for the wheel cylinders is Spit
              > Bits in California. They are on the web. Price is around $17 each. If you
              > go to NAPA you'll pay around $38 each. Off the top of my head, I can't
              > remember the cross reference for the master cylinder.
              >

              > -Steve Miller
              >

              > _____

            • Richard Williams

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
                  Ron,
                      If you can send me a picture I may be able to identify the master cyl. If it's a Girling, I never saw more than one flange type where it bolts to the firewall in those year periods. Also, most all English masters have the bore size as a casting mark on the barrel. If not, the bore sizes are in US standard measurement, not Whitworth or metric. You should install the same bore size so you retain the proper ratio with the wheel cyl.    Just pull the cylinder off and measure it to match something in the girling line. If you were going to buy from NAPA, they will be able to tell you the matching bores, if you find a REAL parts man.  It'll likely be 3/4 inch, the most popular in the cars then. In the early 60s we only stocked 5 or 6 kits, clutch and brake, for most of the English cars..............p
                  I just ordered the 4 wheel cylinders and hold down kits

                  There are no numbers on the Master Cylinder so any help would be greatly appreciated

                  Thanks,

                  Ron

                  --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

                  > Ron,
                  >
                  > I, too, have a '60 Crofton Bug. If you have the single piston cast aluminum
                  > Lucas Girling 3/4 inch wheel cylinder, it is the same part as the rear wheel
                  > cylinder of '63 Triumph Spitfire. All 4 wheel cylinders are the same. This
                  > wheel cylinder actually slides back and forth in the backing plate and is
                  > held in place with a clip. A great source for the wheel cylinders is Spit
                  > Bits in California. They are on the web. Price is around $17 each. If you
                  > go to NAPA you'll pay around $38 each. Off the top of my head, I can't
                  > remember the cross reference for the master cylinder.
                  >

                  > -Steve Miller
                  >

                  > _____

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 2 MB

                  Pete, Ron,

                  The master cylinder for the bug mounted on the left frame rail under the floor of the body.  I'm attaching page 24 of the Bug Parts book that illustrates the brake system.  Crofton part # 24572

                  -Steve