Re: [Crosley_Gang] GEAR OIL

  • Peter Berard
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hey gang.

      Well, here I go again.

      There have been many requests for a solution for grinding gears here on our Crosley Owners Club.

          Crosley, as best as I can remember, had few or no complaints from folks with the shifting in the cars that had no synchronizers.   This is mainly  due to many of the 30s cars and all heavy trucks, had "crunch" transmixers.  Call them crude or historic, they served very well and had less components to fail.

      After our mothers were allowed the driving responsibilities, they became very smooth and silent shifters with these gear boxes, embarrassing many men.
       But then, mothers were always more talented when it came to solving sticky problems.

       Practice will provide slick gear changes with your Crosley regardless of the gear lube viscosity and ambient temps.
      The square cogs require a bit more study and actual practice to acquire the technique than is required for cool transitions.

      Experience will reward a pleasure like a three point landing in a Piper Cub.

         Time your shifting and engine RPM.

      If you can't have any success with double clutching,  start at lower/slower speeds till you accomplish the feel, gradually shifting at faster engine and car related speeds.

       This ain't rocket science so don't let it stump you. Truck drivers have employed these techniques for 100 years..............p

      The old gear was-is very heavy lube-the new same weight oil is very light. Mac's Antique Ford has the heavy 600W lube--Just thin it down.

    • Seb
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
        I use straight Model A oil, 600w..Little thick maybe when cold but warms up quick and works well for me..Seb..