CD body questions

  • Tim Hamblen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2011
      Now that I'm starting to put back together a car that was in pieces when I bought it, I'm gonna have lots of questions I'd imagine. One came up yesterday while looking over my project. How do the front fenders "attach" to the floor pans ? In the area down and around the lower parts of the fenders ? Were the two just brought together and the union filled with body caulk or ?? I see no evidence of spot welds or the like. I'm hoping maybe some of might have taken some pics of your resto projects that would give me a hint on how this was done.
    • A50CROSLEYTRK@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2011
        My fenders / floor pan does not attach. Paint, sponge rubber, and sealers is all. bye  Robert

        In a message dated 5/1/2011 8:39:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, flinttim@... writes:

        Now that I'm starting to put back together a car that was in pieces when I bought it, I'm gonna have lots of questions I'd imagine. One came up yesterday while looking over my project. How do the front fenders "attach" to the floor pans ? In the area down and around the lower parts of the fenders ? Were the two just brought together and the union filled with body caulk or ?? I see no evidence of spot welds or the like. I'm hoping maybe some of might have taken some pics of your resto projects that would give me a hint on how this was done.

      • Jim_Bollman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2011
          I believe the fenders were spot weld low about where the floor pan bends to the flat area. I think the rest of the fender along the angled section of the floor was just sealed in place.

          Jim...

          --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hamblen" <flinttim@...> wrote:

          > Now that I'm starting to put back together a car that was in pieces when I bought it, I'm gonna have lots of questions I'd imagine. One came up yesterday while looking over my project. How do the front fenders "attach" to the floor pans ? In the area down and around the lower parts of the fenders ? Were the two just brought together and the union filled with body caulk or ?? I see no evidence of spot welds or the like. I'm hoping maybe some of might have taken some pics of your resto projects that would give me a hint on how this was done.

        • Dale
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2011
            Tim,
            There was a small tab welded to the lower part of the front fenders that attached to the floor with a sheet metal screw just ahead of the door post. I thought they were welded or just filled with caulk until I got an almost rust free car and could see the metal tab and screw into the floor.
            Dale

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2011
              The tab may have been what I was seeing that I thought was the floor spot welded to the fender because the floor was gone and just a piece of what I though was floor was attached to the fender. Was a long time ago when I replaced the floor in my 49 and haven't looked since at other cars.

              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Dale " <frederick1146@...> wrote:

              > Tim,
              > There was a small tab welded to the lower part of the front fenders that attached to the floor with a sheet metal screw just ahead of the door post. I thought they were welded or just filled with caulk until I got an almost rust free car and could see the metal tab and screw into the floor.
              > Dale
              >

              > --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hamblen" <flinttim@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Now that I'm starting to put back together a car that was in pieces when I bought it, I'm gonna have lots of questions I'd imagine. One came up yesterday while looking over my project. How do the front fenders "attach" to the floor pans ? In the area down and around the lower parts of the fenders ? Were the two just brought together and the union filled with body caulk or ?? I see no evidence of spot welds or the like. I'm hoping maybe some of might have taken some pics of your resto projects that would give me a hint on how this was done.

            • Peter Berard
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2011
                   You cats are gonna make me go out and get Mr Truk on the lift. He is unmolested and original. I'll try to get some pictures of the areas you speak of the next time I change the oil.

                  I do remember that there was lots of undercoating in the front fender area, the same kind as I found in the insides of my SS doors, under hood, and rockers. I needed to remove a half inch or so to allow for the TR3 type door pockets I built for the SS. This stuff is the most tenacious crap I've ever dealt with and apparently was liberally sprayed as sound deadening as well as waterproofing.
                Powell must have owned the company that made the material because there was no shortage for the Crosleys........p