Re: 1/4 mile record

  • arnie53590
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
      I would love a twin engine like the famous "Freight Train"! It could be the "Choo Choo Train"!! This car Is Too nice to change, I would build a new chassis. Tom
    • Chuck
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
        With 8.25--15 tires it should go faster than 62 mph--might be time to try a lighter flywheel. Chuck-k
        --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "cutworm1959" <cutworm1959@...> wrote:

        > Fret not Tom, if your racer is one built by Chucky K you have a much prettyer rail. Look at Nicks and see what I mean. How bout puttin another ciba in front of the other one? Cut
        >
        > --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "arnie53590" <amphigill@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I got it all the way up to 62mph! Long ways to 117!! Sure is fun trying! Tom

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010

          Okay, I have the classic carb problem.  Carter Carburetor float has a pinhole somewhere.  The float is full of gas, so it never floats.  Any suggestions?

          -Steve M.

        • Chuck
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
            I have some floats if you want one. Chuck-k

            --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

            > Okay, I have the classic carb problem. Carter Carburetor float has a
            > pinhole somewhere. The float is full of gas, so it never floats. Any
            > suggestions?
            >

            > -Steve M.

          • Richard Williams
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
              I have repaired one in the past. Don't know how the hole got there but squeaze it lightly to locate the hole. Use a larger pin to open the hole to drain. After it was empty I simply soldered the hole closed with an electric solder iron. Put it back in and it worked fine. Was still that way when I sold the car several years later.
              Rich W.

              Okay, I have the classic carb problem.  Carter Carburetor float has a pinhole somewhere.  The float is full of gas, so it never floats.  Any suggestions?

              -Steve M.

            • crosley19
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
                Fill a glass with real hot water and submerge the float. It will bubble at the hole. Punch a larger hole where the bubbles come from to drain it, and solder it. Resubmerge the float in hot water to check that it is sealed.
                Barry

                --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Richard Williams <rwms_2002@...> wrote:

                > I have repaired one in the past. Don't know how the hole got there but squeaze it lightly to locate the hole. Use a larger pin to open the hole to drain. After it was empty I simply soldered the hole closed with an electric solder iron. Put it back in and it worked fine. Was still that way when I sold the car several years later.
                > Rich W.

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010

                  Hey, Chuck, I have the float out, found the pinhole leak, have gotten all the gas out.  What kind of solder should I use?  Plumbing solder or electrical solder?  I'm trying to get my wagon running for the upcoming mini / micro car show.

                  P.S. I still owe you those rods.

                  -Steve M.

                  I have some floats if you want one. Chuck-k

                  --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

                  > Okay, I have the classic carb problem. Carter Carburetor float has a
                  > pinhole somewhere. The float is full of gas, so it never floats. Any
                  > suggestions?
                  >

                  > -Steve M.

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010

                    Did exactly that,  Barry to find the hole.  Dunking in super hot water a couple of time - allowing it to cool between dunkings, pushed all the old gas out of it.  Now just need to solder the hold.

                    -Steve M.

                    Fill a glass with real hot water and submerge the float. It will bubble at the hole. Punch a larger hole where the bubbles come from to drain it, and solder it. Resubmerge the float in hot water to check that it is sealed.
                    Barry

                    --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Richard Williams <rwms_2002@...> wrote:

                    > I have repaired one in the past. Don't know how the hole got there but
                    squeaze it lightly to locate the hole. Use a larger pin to open the hole to drain. After it was empty I simply soldered the hole closed with an electric solder iron. Put it back in and it worked fine. Was still that way when I sold the car several years later.
                    > Rich W.

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010

                      Float is floating again.  Here's what I did to fix it.

                      1. Heated a cup of water 2 minutes in the microwave.

                      2. Dunked the float into the hot water with the hole pointed down.

                      3. Expansion of air inside the float pushed out the liquid (old gas) in the float.

                      4. Allowed float to cool.

                      5. Repeated steps 1 thru 4 until only air bubbles came out of the float.

                      6. Let float dry approximately 1 hour.

                      7. Buffed float with 0000 steel wool

                      8. Open hole with a small nail.

                      9. Soldered hole with non-electrical solder and flux using a 25 watt soldering iron.

                      10. Allowed float to cool

                      11. Checked float in hot water - no bubbles.

                      12, Checked float in cold water - it floats!

                      Thanks, everyone.

                      Fill a glass with real hot water and submerge the float. It will bubble at the hole. Punch a larger hole where the bubbles come from to drain it, and solder it. Resubmerge the float in hot water to check that it is sealed.
                      Barry

                      --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Richard Williams <rwms_2002@...> wrote:

                      > I have repaired one in the past. Don't know how the hole got there but
                      squeaze it lightly to locate the hole. Use a larger pin to open the hole to drain. After it was empty I simply soldered the hole closed with an electric solder iron. Put it back in and it worked fine. Was still that way when I sold the car several years later.
                      > Rich W.

                    • Peter Berard
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                        If you buff and shine the brass well, I find it advisable to use the least corrosive solder available and that's gonna be rosin core.  Of course the most reliable would be acid core, but it can cause other problems.  You can blow out the solder if there is too much differential temp between the inside of the float and ambient ending up with pin holes in the solder.  So, don't hold the solder gun on the float too long.
                          ........pete

                        Hey, Chuck, I have the float out, found the pinhole leak, have gotten all the gas out.  What kind of solder should I use?  Plumbing solder or electrical solder?  I'm trying to get my wagon running for the upcoming mini / micro car show.

                        P.S. I still owe you those rods.

                        -Steve M.

                        I have some floats if you want one. Chuck-k

                        --- In Crosley_Gang@ yahoogroups. com, "Steve" <brawnybug@.. .> wrote:

                        > Okay, I have the classic carb problem. Carter Carburetor float has a
                        > pinhole somewhere. The float is full of gas, so it never floats. Any
                        > suggestions?
                        >

                        > -Steve M.

                      • arnie53590
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                          I am looking for an aluminum flywheel per Chucks advise. Any out there? Thanx!! Tom
                        • Chuck
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                            Might have a 6" aluminum one---must check. Chuck-k

                          • mljdrl@cox.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                              I could use an aluminum flywheel also.

                              David

                              From: "Chuck" <chuckk@...>
                              Sender: Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 00:47:22 -0000
                              To: <Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: [Crosley_Gang] Re: 1/4 mile record

                              Might have a 6" aluminum one---must check. Chuck-k

                              --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "arnie53590" <amphigill@...> wrote:

                              > I am looking for an aluminum flywheel per Chucks advise. Any out there? Thanx!! Tom

                            • jamskye
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 2, 2010
                                --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "arnie53590" <amphigill@...> wrote:

                                > I am looking for an aluminum flywheel per Chucks advise. Any out there? Thanx!! Tom

                                It maybe counter intuitive, but you might consider a heavier flywheel, or least not any lighter for drag racing. Lighter may be beneficial for a constant high RPM like in a boat or midget, but with a drag car and low on torque engine you want a lot of centrifugal energy built up from a heavier flywheel to help you get off the line and maybe skinny tires to break traction to get you moving.
                                Just a thought.
                                JAM
                              • arnie53590
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 3, 2010
                                  I am leary of leaving hard, first time I did, I split a brake drum! Crosley drivetrains are not bullet proof! Tom
                                • Peter Berard
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 3, 2010
                                    Tom,
                                      Berry Seel has a good method of reinforcing the hub/brake drums. He machines and sleeves the outside.  Ask him about it...............pete

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 3, 2010
                                      I thought the same -BUT- the engine has the power to spin the 8.25x15 tires,it's when they lock up that causes problems--I even broke a cluster gear and shaft inhalf--got smart and put 3 bearings in the cluster and a tempered shaft.lighter flywheel will rev up faster as long as the power is in front of it.car is so light that getting off the line isn't a problem -Could make for faster ET's.