Fred in Red

  • Geoff and Luan Male
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 4:39 AM
               I had a nice visit from the indefatigable Fred Syrdal yesterday in a gorgeous Buick Riviera  convertible, one of only 11 made in red.  I think he wanted to trade it to me for the Sharkey, but was afraid of all the speeding tickets he might get if he were to drive Sharkey all the way back to Minnesota.  He got to Cincinnati by train around 4 in the morning, had purchased the Buick in Kentucky and was at my house in Indiana around 8, and then drove to Peoria that day!  Iron man from the Iron Range! He effectively hid his disgust at all the dogs here (15 that day) and made a very pleasant visit. Nice to see you, Fred.

      A Home Away From Home

      Phone:  (812) 594-2374
      Email:           awayfromhome@...

      www.AHomeAwayFromHome.petfinder.com

    • Tim Hamblen
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2 3:55 AM
        Damn Geoff, I had to look that word up.Must be a UC thing.
      • Peter Berard
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 4:23 AM
          I didn't bother looking it up since I can't pronounce it any way.........p
          Damn Geoff, I had to look that word up.Must be a UC thing.

        • Fred
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 10:32 AM

            Geoff serves a great cup of coffee, needed at that point, and I really fell in love with a couple of the puppies.  Sharkey has had about 50 coats of paint sanded off and is nearly ready for paint, so get ready to see the unveiling of the new and improved Sharkey. Thanx Geoff...

          • Mj Flan
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 11:49 AM
              Whats the sharkey?
              Matt

              On Apr 2, 2010, at 1:32 PM, "Fred" <fred@...> wrote:

              Geoff serves a great cup of coffee, needed at that point, and I really fell in love with a couple of the puppies.  Sharkey has had about 50 coats of paint sanded off and is nearly ready for paint, so get ready to see the unveiling of the new and improved Sharkey. Thanx Geoff...

            • Jim_Bollman
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 12:43 PM
                For our newer members.

                http://crosleyautoclub.com/Sharkey/

                Jim...

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3 5:10 AM
                  Interesting remote shifter...........p
                  > Geoff serves a great cup of coffee, needed at that point, and I really fell in love with a couple of the puppies. Sharkey has had about 50 coats of paint sanded off and is nearly ready for paint, so get ready to see the unveiling of the new and improved Sharkey. Thanx Geoff...

                • Chuck
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3 9:08 AM
                    That style shifter was used( for the most part) in HS & SS so you had the lever between the seats--Worked well.At one time I had 4 of them.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3 10:07 AM
                      Wow, thanks Chuck,

                      I never knew  this.
                      Was there a different gear box top?
                       What did the linkage look like?
                       A Crosley part?

                        Boy, that kind of monkey motion reminds me of the Simca Aronde of the 50's.  Had cables to connect the Colum shift to the box top. 4 speed too.  What a joke. But no one laughed.  They had flooded the market with them and we had to try to make them shift. Made Chevy's vacuum shift look good!  I think Fiat 1100 sedan has a similar deal.  They (Fiat and Simca) were in bed together. Same cylinder head gasket.............p

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 2:14 PM
                        That seat appears to be out of an old van. Dodge maybe.You got a peach crate for the Mrs. Geoff ?