Rear main leak

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2008
      I've got a d--n rear main seal leaking!

      I was so careful building my engine and checked every thing I did several times. I'm not a novice engine builder, having built my first one in '56.

      But, I thought it was so weird that the one-piece seal had to be stretched over the rear flange of the crankshaft. However, I installed it exactly as the instructions stated, being careful not to scratch, or scar the seal in any way.

      Regardless, each time I start the engine, it leaks enough oil to drip a puddle on the floor.

      I'd like to hear any recommendations for a better type of seal, that I can hopefully replace without removing my engine, tearing it down and installing a new one-piece rear seal!

      I've replaced the old rope-type and two-piece rubber rear seals, with the engines in the cars. Any chance that I can find something to fix this one with? My manual shows a two-piece, rubber seal. Are they still available?

      I'm trying to break my propensity for using fowl language, but this is making it difficult! I wanna drive that sucker!

      Dennis

      -

    • BARRY SEEL
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi Dennis,
        You must glue the rear main seal to the crankcase with 3M Plastic
        Gasket to keep the seal from spinning in the case. You can remove
        the old one by cutting it, and install a new one by cutting it on an
        angle, and installing it with the 3M Plastic gasket.
        Barry

        -- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Dennis <jooly40@...> wrote:

        > I've got a d--n rear main seal leaking!
        >
        > I was so careful building my engine and checked every thing I did
        several times. I'm not a novice engine builder, having built my first
        one in '56.

        > But, I thought it was so weird that the one-piece seal had to be
        stretched over the rear flange of the crankshaft. However, I
        installed it exactly as the instructions stated, being careful not to
        scratch, or scar the seal in any way.

        > Regardless, each time I start the engine, it leaks enough oil to
        drip a puddle on the floor.

        > I'd like to hear any recommendations for a better type of seal,
        that I can hopefully replace without removing my engine, tearing it
        down and installing a new one-piece rear seal!

        > I've replaced the old rope-type and two-piece rubber rear seals,
        with the engines in the cars. Any chance that I can find something to
        fix this one with? My manual shows a two-piece, rubber seal. Are they
        still available?

        > I'm trying to break my propensity for using fowl language, but this
        is making it difficult! I wanna drive that sucker!

        > Dennis
        >
        > -

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
          Thanks, Barry

          If I had only known!

          There's nothing in the instructions about that...dang it!

          Gotta get a new pan gasket and rear seal, 3M plastic gasket. Never heard of it!

          Dennis

          You must glue the rear main seal to the crankcase with 3M Plastic

          Gasket to keep the seal from spinning in the case. You can remove

          the old one by cutting it, and install a new one by cutting it on an

          angle, and installing it with the 3M Plastic gasket.

          Barry

          -- In Crosley_Gang@ yahoogroups. com, Dennis <jooly40@... > wrote:

          > I've got a d--n rear main seal leaking!

          > I was so careful building my engine and checked every thing I did

          several times. I'm not a novice engine builder, having built my first

          one in '56.

          > But, I thought it was so weird that the one-piece seal had to be

          stretched over the rear flange of the crankshaft. However, I

          installed it exactly as the instructions stated, being careful not to

          scratch, or scar the seal in any way.

          > Regardless, each time I start the engine, it leaks enough oil to

          drip a puddle on the floor.

          > I'd like to hear any recommendations for a better type of seal,

          that I can hopefully replace without removing my engine, tearing it

          down and installing a new one-piece rear seal!

          > I've replaced the old rope-type and two-piece rubber rear seals,

          with the engines in the cars. Any chance that I can find something to

          fix this one with? My manual shows a two-piece, rubber seal. Are they

          still available?

          > I'm trying to break my propensity for using fowl language, but this

          is making it difficult! I wanna drive that sucker!

          > Dennis

          > -

        • Chuck Koehler
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
            Some of the one piece rear seals are marked --this side out.--

            - In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Dennis <jooly40@...> wrote:

            > I've got a d--n rear main seal leaking!
            >
            > I was so careful building my engine and checked every thing I did
            several times. I'm not a novice engine builder, having built my first
            one in '56.

            > But, I thought it was so weird that the one-piece seal had to be
            stretched over the rear flange of the crankshaft. However, I
            installed it exactly as the instructions stated, being careful not to
            scratch, or scar the seal in any way.

            > Regardless, each time I start the engine, it leaks enough oil to
            drip a puddle on the floor.

            > I'd like to hear any recommendations for a better type of seal,
            that I can hopefully replace without removing my engine, tearing it
            down and installing a new one-piece rear seal!

            > I've replaced the old rope-type and two-piece rubber rear seals,
            with the engines in the cars. Any chance that I can find something to
            fix this one with? My manual shows a two-piece, rubber seal. Are they
            still available?

            > I'm trying to break my propensity for using fowl language, but this
            is making it difficult! I wanna drive that sucker!

            > Dennis
            >
            > -

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
              Chuck,

              I looked for a lip on the seal, that should face the source of oil, but the one I used was more like a stretchy black rubber doughnut. I'll order a new'un, along with a new pan gasket set,  tomorrow, and try it again.

              Dennis

              Some of the one piece rear seals are marked --this side out.--

              - In Crosley_Gang@ yahoogroups. com, Dennis <jooly40@... > wrote:

              > I've got a d--n rear main seal leaking!

              > I was so careful building my engine and checked every thing I did

              several times. I'm not a novice engine builder, having built my first

              one in '56.

              > But, I thought it was so weird that the one-piece seal had to be

              stretched over the rear flange of the crankshaft. However, I

              installed it exactly as the instructions stated, being careful not to

              scratch, or scar the seal in any way.

              > Regardless, each time I start the engine, it leaks enough oil to

              drip a puddle on the floor.

              > I'd like to hear any recommendations for a better type of seal,

              that I can hopefully replace without removing my engine, tearing it

              down and installing a new one-piece rear seal!

              > I've replaced the old rope-type and two-piece rubber rear seals,

              with the engines in the cars. Any chance that I can find something to

              fix this one with? My manual shows a two-piece, rubber seal. Are they

              still available?

              > I'm trying to break my propensity for using fowl language, but this

              is making it difficult! I wanna drive that sucker!

              > Dennis

              > -

            • Chuck Koehler
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 2, 2008
                The one piece black rubber type is what I was looking at.The center
                part of the seal is what matters.It's made in such a way It pushes
                the oil back into the pan.How about pulling pan,pull rear main and
                cut the seal to remove??--- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, Dennis