Crosley engines

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I posted a few more photos of the three engines i just got. Notice
      the governor on the rusted up engine. Were these governors used on
      cars or did this engine power something else? Worked on the Generator
      today. Fabricated a hand crank first thing this morning. The crank
      worked great. Turned over easily. Way to easily. Zero compression on
      3 cylinders. The only one with compression was only 50LBs. I poured
      oil in each cyl. but it did not do much. Decided to check the valves
      for stuck or sticking valves. I started taking the valve cover off
      the top when a friend called. He said take the side plate off to get
      to the valves. I pulled the side cover off the froze engine.
      Surprise! just a cover for the water jacket, no valve stems. I did
      not really think there were but just to satisfy him i had to look. I
      have worked on old Willys Jeep engines since 1964 but never really
      even looked at a Crosley engine till now. Really quite different. I
      checked each valve on top the engine. None were even sticking. In
      fact it looks like new inside the valve cover. Apparently the rings
      must be terribly stuck in the piston grooves. I rotated the engine
      around till all pistons were at the halve way point. Then filled the
      cylinders with oil. I'll leave it sit over night and see how it does.
      If that does nor work it will mean tear down time. I never knew how
      different the engine was compared to a L-head jeep engine. Or even an
      F-head engine. I might have to break down and buy a manual just to
      take the engine apart. What a neat little engine! I like the fact
      that i can pick up the whole engine without a lift or hoist. If you
      want to move these photos to another photo album i do not mind. At
      least we are having a great time fooling with the little Crosley
      engine. Steve & Darlene
    • Jim Bollman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2008
        I moved your photos to the Engine Misc folder.

        The governor was not used on the cars.

        I would switch to something stronger than just oil to loosen up the
        rings. I usually use a 50:50 mix of kerosene and Marvel Mystery oil,
        other have said automatic transmission fluid works well.

        Jim...