RE: [Crosley_Gang] How to quickly identify a real pickup truck?

  • Smedley, Barry
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      The original pickups had an extra brace in the frame near the bed area.

      Barry
      Smedley

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
        As Barry said, there is an extra "angle iron style" brace on each side
        of the frame, just ahead of the rear spring section.

        The rear floor is also much flatter with a "humped up" filler plate to
        cover the horseshoe shaped cross member.

        Once you've seen one, it's real easy to spot.

        Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors, 1-574-664-3313

        --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Smedley, Barry" <bsmedleyt@...>
        wrote:

        > The original pickups had an extra brace in the frame near the bed area.
        >

        > Barry
        > Smedley
        >

        > ________________________________

      • hal kolding
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
          Thanks, I have to go by looking at the floor, no opportunity to see
          underneith. Hal

          >From: "butch46988" <servicemotors@...>
          >To: Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Crosley_Gang] Re: How to quickly identify a real pickup truck?
          >Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:34:28 -0000
          >
          >As Barry said, there is an extra "angle iron style" brace on each side
          >of the frame, just ahead of the rear spring section.
          >
          >The rear floor is also much flatter with a "humped up" filler plate to
          >cover the horseshoe shaped cross member.
          >
          >Once you've seen one, it's real easy to spot.
          >
          >Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors, 1-574-664-3313
          >
          >--- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Smedley, Barry" <bsmedleyt@...>
          >wrote:
          > >
          > > The original pickups had an extra brace in the frame near the bed area.
          > >

          > > Barry
          > > Smedley
          > >

          > > ________________________________

          Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!�
          http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
        • Posti@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
            If it is a Southern pickup, there should be a BB gun rack in the back window.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
              The pichup will have a flat bed and the floor at the front of the bed willhave a hump in it for the frame.
              The station wagon converts will not have a flat floor.
              The tailgate assembly on a pickup is different than a wagon.The wagon has spring dowels horizontally on each side where as the pickup has vertical tubes on the rear fenders to accept the pins that go thru the washer on the tailgate and into the holder on the fender. I had a wagon and now own two pickups so I have firsthand seen the difference. Hope this helps.
              ---- Hal <bethalk@...> wrote:
              > What is a quick and easy way to determine if a pickup is actually a pickup, and not a
              > converted wagon? Is there something easily seen in the bed of the truck? Thanks. Hal

            • BrawnyBug
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
                My '48 CC pickup is a real pickup and a southern one too (Oklahoma). It didn't have a BB gun rack, but it had the home-made cow catcher up front and plenty of BB holes in the windows and dents in the body.

                Other differentiating factor between real pickups and most home-made versions is the panel at the back of the cab. Real pickups have the 2 piece back panel (upper and lower) riveted together with an offset (lower is inset from the upper panel).