More trailer and tieing down questions.

  • Tim Hamblen
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1 10:29 AM
      Got my car up on the trailer today and went about tieing it down to
      get some practice in. Front no problem, but on the back if I cross tie
      it , I can't go around the axle housing/spring w/o hitting the gas
      tank. So, is it all right and safe to go around the pumpkin to cross
      tie it ? That pretty much ties it in the center of the car, but is
      that OK ?
      Also, with the car on the trailer, I have about 300 lbs tongue
      weight. I've moved the car back as far as I would want to. The
      combined weight of car and trailer should be about 2200 lbs (will take
      to scales later to verify) so I am in that 10-15% tongue weight to
      GVWR ratio. Seem OK ? The hitch is rated 700 lbs and the tow vehicle
      is plenty heavy enough (Expedition with tow package ) I guess what I'm
      asking is this in safe parameters and is it usually better to have a
      bit more tongue weight rather than too light tongue weight ?
    • BARRY SEEL
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1 3:16 PM
        You want more tongue weight! If you hit a bump without enough tongue
        weight the trailer can lift the back wheels of your tow vehicle off
        the ground and spin you around so fast you won't know what happened.
        Been there done that!
        Barry

        --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hamblen" <flinttim@...>
        wrote:

        > Got my car up on the trailer today and went about tieing it down to
        > get some practice in. Front no problem, but on the back if I cross
        tie
        > it , I can't go around the axle housing/spring w/o hitting the gas
        > tank. So, is it all right and safe to go around the pumpkin to
        cross
        > tie it ? That pretty much ties it in the center of the car, but is
        > that OK ?
        > Also, with the car on the trailer, I have about 300 lbs tongue
        > weight. I've moved the car back as far as I would want to. The
        > combined weight of car and trailer should be about 2200 lbs (will
        take
        > to scales later to verify) so I am in that 10-15% tongue weight to
        > GVWR ratio. Seem OK ? The hitch is rated 700 lbs and the tow
        vehicle
        > is plenty heavy enough (Expedition with tow package ) I guess what
        I'm
        > asking is this in safe parameters and is it usually better to have
        > bit more tongue weight rather than too light tongue weight ?

      • Jim Bollman
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1 3:45 PM
          I don't cross tie my Crosley and never had any problems, but I use
          chains on my trailer.

          Tongue weight is very trailer dependent. Never experienced what Barry
          warned of but he has towed a lot more miles than I have. My trailer
          pulls like it isn't even back there with about 100# of tongue weight,
          which is less than 5% for my setup, I have heard of other setups that
          would be all over the road with that light a tongue. Mine is a single
          axle and very low to the ground if that makes a different.

          http://lookleap.com/jebs-stuff.com/a2

          Jim...

          --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hamblen" <flinttim@...> wrote:

          > Got my car up on the trailer today and went about tieing it down to
          > get some practice in. Front no problem, but on the back if I cross tie
          > it , I can't go around the axle housing/spring w/o hitting the gas
          > tank. So, is it all right and safe to go around the pumpkin to cross
          > tie it ? That pretty much ties it in the center of the car, but is
          > that OK ?
          > Also, with the car on the trailer, I have about 300 lbs tongue
          > weight. I've moved the car back as far as I would want to. The
          > combined weight of car and trailer should be about 2200 lbs (will take
          > to scales later to verify) so I am in that 10-15% tongue weight to
          > GVWR ratio. Seem OK ? The hitch is rated 700 lbs and the tow vehicle
          > is plenty heavy enough (Expedition with tow package ) I guess what I'm
          > asking is this in safe parameters and is it usually better to have a
          > bit more tongue weight rather than too light tongue weight ?

        • Fred Syrdal
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1 4:42 PM
            I would not worry too much if your tongue weight is that much, the
            Expedition is a heavy hauler and won't notice much. I often tow with a
            front wheel drive van and tongue weight is critical I maintain as close
            to 10% as possible. Tie downs, for safety reasons 2 front 2 rear are
            best as a failure won't send the car foreward or back. Cross tieing
            will stop side to side movement also, but if you cannot do that in back
            I would not worry about it. Your center location will be just fine
          • Hal
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1 6:01 PM
              Jim, that's a great looking trailer. Who makes it, and where did you
              buy it? Regards, Hal
            • Tim Hamblen
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1 6:30 PM
                Jim, I looked at all the pics of your trailer. All I can say is , your
                Dad done one heck of a job ! Love the design.
              • Ed Limke
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1 6:38 PM
                  Howdy; better to have more tongue weight.Less weight will make the trailer sway. It is all right to go around the pumpkin then the body will use its own springs. ED

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1 6:39 PM
                    I use about 100 lbs if i can--I've towed crosleys all over-a few
                    times i had to put them on backwards-this gave me a negitive weight-
                    maybe it's the weight or the design of the trailers-NEVER had any
                    problems---

                    - In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Jim

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1 6:52 PM
                      Hal, You missed the description at the top of the photo page.

                      "Trailer was originally designed and built by my Father Al Bollman in
                      1972, for me to haul my 1949 Crosley Station Wagon. The full deck
                      design has allowed it to be used to haul many thing over the years
                      besides Crosleys. I repainted and put a new deck on in 2001."

                      Tim, Yep he was very good at designing and building things in his day.
                      One of the features he talked me into was making it 5 foot wide. I
                      was thinking wider and he said we needed to keep it small enough so a
                      Model T or Model A wouldn't fit (remember this was the early 70s). If
                      a T or A would fit someone would always want to borrow it. Had to
                      turn down lots of people over the years because the car they wanted to
                      haul wouldn't fit. Saved a lot of wear and tear. It has hauled a lot
                      of Crosleys mine and others, even a Metropolitan parts car (it rocked
                      and hit the rocker panels).

                      Jim...

                      --- In Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Hal" <bethalk@...> wrote:

                      > Jim, that's a great looking trailer. Who makes it, and where did you
                      > buy it? Regards, Hal

                    • Tony
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1 7:42 PM
                        Jim;

                        that part about your trailer width brought a grin to my face.....

                        I bought my trailer used in 1994. I loaned my car trailer twice to
                        good friends. It came back damaged each time.

                        The past 12 years I have not loaned it out.

                        Tony in AZ

                        wrote:

                        > Hal, You missed the description at the top of the photo page.
                        >

                        > One of the features he talked me into was making it 5 foot wide. I
                        > was thinking wider and he said we needed to keep it small enough so a
                        > Model T or Model A wouldn't fit (remember this was the early 70s). If
                        > a T or A would fit someone would always want to borrow it. Had to
                        > turn down lots of people over the years because the car they wanted to
                        > haul wouldn't fit. Saved a lot of wear and tear. It has hauled a lot
                        > of Crosleys mine and others, even a Metropolitan parts car (it rocked
                        > and hit the rocker panels).
                        >
                        > Jim...
                      • Hal
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1 8:13 PM
                          Thanks Jim, the pictures looked so good, I didn't read the text! Hal
                        • aenderle3@cox.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 2 4:26 AM
                            To add my 2 cents worth. I just towed 2 crosleys this weekend from New York to CT. I used a Honda Element towing a 5 ft X 10 Ft single axle trailer. The first was a super sports I loaded rear end toward the hitch. I used two straps on the front axle in a V pattern connected to a come a long. I then connected two straps around the rear axle in a v pattern and attached to a come along at the front. I had about two inch clearance at the front of the trailer since it had a railing and the rear wheels sat @ 2 inches inside the rear of the trailer with the body hanging off. At no time did I experience any side to side movement. I traveled highway and rural windy roads. I loaded the SS with the nose hanging off and the pickup with the tail hanging off. I made two seperate trips. hope this is of some assistance.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 2 1:37 PM
                              Towing American made Crosleys with a Honda just doesn't seem correct--
                              -LOL-

                            • berard_m@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 2 2:50 PM
                                I just want to haul some dirt. I guess I can use it, huh?......p

                              • berard_m@bellsouth.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 2 2:51 PM
                                  Ah com'on Tony, I just want haul some dirt.....p

                                • Leonard407@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 2 5:08 PM
                                    All of this brew-ha-ha about trailering just amazes me. I have hauled all
                                    kinds of stuff over the years, letting it hang off the front, rear, or sides.
                                    Mis-matched, odd sized (13&14) and bald tires. One inch straps, maybe four for
                                    a Crosley. Always got home, life is short. Steve

                                  • seb fontana
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 2 6:04 PM
                                      WHAT? ME WORRY? Wish I had that kind of luck..life could be real
                                      short..40 years ago I rented a car trailer along with clamp on
                                      trailer hitch, didn't like the looks of the hitch so I loaded the car
                                      on backwards so as to not have much tongue weight..yep, the tail
                                      wagged the dog soon as I got up to 40 mph..used up ALL the lanes, had
                                      to keep it at 30 mph..didn't wreck but thats as close as I want to
                                      get.as far as loaning equipment, best policy is to loan with supplied
                                      operator..Pete, you can haul dirt with my trailer..4'x8', dual axle,
                                      4 wheel brakes, will handle 6,000 lbs..Seb.

                                      Leonard407@... wrote:

                                      > All of this brew-ha-ha about trailering just amazes me. I have
                                      hauled all
                                      > kinds of stuff over the years, letting it hang off the front, rear,
                                      or sides.
                                      > Mis-matched, odd sized (13&14) and bald tires. One inch straps,
                                      maybe four for
                                      > a Crosley. Always got home, life is short. Steve

                                    • BrawnyBug
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 2 6:37 PM
                                        Chuck,
                                        I agree. However, pulling Mazdas with my Jimmy doesn't bother either me or my sons.

                                        -Steve M.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 2 6:56 PM
                                          Well, I'd sure hate to lose my car, but would hate even more killing
                                          some family out for a drive, when a Crosley slammed into their car !
                                          When I lived in the Falls City area 4 people were killed when a badly
                                          tied load broke loose from a semi and went across the medium. Or the
                                          boat trailer that came loose from a truck and struck a car load of
                                          kids. Might be redundant but I'll come down on the side of safety
                                          every time.
                                        • A50CROSLEYTRK@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 2 7:58 PM
                                            You have been very lucky.You just have not been bitten by a sway or
                                            separated / blowout tire or who knows what else. That is why so many of today's laws
                                            are waiting for people like you. The sad part of it is that someone may die
                                            for a stupid move. Please wise up. _http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html_
                                            (http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.html)

                                            bye Robert

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 3 6:04 AM
                                              What makes you folks think I haven't had a vehicle (boat) fall off, suffer
                                              for miles with a sway or shimmy, and had numorus blow outs. All I said was I
                                              always got home, and that life is short. Steve

                                            • David W. Anspach
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 3 6:49 AM
                                                Well Steve, I guess I can be counted with you as many of the Pa.
                                                Crosley people can testify. Until I bought my new trailer last year,
                                                I was absolutely jinxed when it came to trailers. I had a wheel fall
                                                off on rte. 70 on my way to Wauseon one year (replaced wheel studs,
                                                wheel,and hub), blew a tire on my way to Pa. show the same year
                                                (replaced tire), Lost a fender on my way to Wauseon the next year (had
                                                it welded back on at Wauseon), lost a wheel again that year picking up
                                                a parts car (other side, replaced lugs), blew a tire on my way to a
                                                local show (replaced tire), Couldn't find a matching wheel so replaced
                                                both wheels on trailer, blew a tire last fall on a local run (bought a
                                                new set of tires since I couldn't find one to match the blown one)and
                                                a couple of other incidents that I don't remember the details of. (I
                                                do remember a bent axle in there somewhere). Anyway, my point is I
                                                have always used a 4 corner tie down around the axles of the cars and
                                                none of them ever budged, (even on rte 70 losing a wheel at 65 mph) so
                                                I guess that system works (thanks Chuck).
                                                Dave
                                              • berard_m@bellsouth.net
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 3 3:27 PM
                                                  Good grief, the stories I could tell. And true, every one. God never meant for us to drag stuff behind. We simply aren't advanced enough............p
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 3 5:30 PM
                                                    Here's a story..Friend of mine was trailering a couple motorcycles
                                                    down to Daytona..wheel came off and he pulled over and
                                                    stopped...About to go back and look for the wheel he saw a van stop,
                                                    someone jumped out and picked up the wheel..as the van approached my
                                                    friend thought "how nice of them" until they drove on by waving the
                                                    wheel..they never did stop..think it was in GA..Pete, you had a van??
                                                    Just kidding of course..Seb..

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 3 6:11 PM
                                                      In the 60's and 70's I had a 1960 windowless Econoline van that we would load up with 4 or 5 motorcycles and the riders to go with them. We'd crawl between the scooters to sleep on the way to far away races. Sleep was scarce on the way to the race because of the anticipation. Endurance runs would make sleep easy on the way home. Who ever took the trailer wheel was not a biker. We don't do that stuff. And I know you're kiddin. Yer a good kid too ........peter

                                                    • fwitham@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 3 6:49 PM
                                                        THIS IS WHY SO MANY STATES HAVE STARTED INSPECTION STATIONS FOR TRAILERS
                                                        NOW! JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS TO WATCH OVER US!!!