Starting problem

  • Ron Frost
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      Morning,
      I have a 1949 ?? engine I'm having a starting problem with. When it's
      cold, the engine refuses to start unless it gets a drink of starting
      fluid. One I give it a shot it starts and runs just fine. Once warmed
      up a little it will start real well. The carberator is on without an
      accrelator pump. The fuel pump has been rebuilt. Any ideas?
      Ron
    • Chuck Koehler
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A TILLOTSON CARB--make sure the choke is closed --
        don't step on the gas pedal as it will stop the choke from working --
        if that fails--make the system richer--and if that fails send it to me
        and i'll check it out for you. CHUCK-K--p/s CHECK the intake manifold
        for
        leaks.

        - In
        Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Frost" <ron217_2000@...> wrote:

        > Morning,
        > I have a 1949 ?? engine I'm having a starting problem with. When
        it's
        > cold, the engine refuses to start unless it gets a drink of starting
        > fluid. One I give it a shot it starts and runs just fine. Once
        warmed
        > up a little it will start real well. The carberator is on without an
        > accrelator pump. The fuel pump has been rebuilt. Any ideas?
        > Ron

      • Ron Frost, Kersey, PA
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          Well good and bad news.
          Sfter I read your mail I went out and pulled the carberator and opened it up. IT was pretty clean for it had been apart before and the jet screwdriver slots were not in good shape. I did get them out and blow them out with air. Put it back together and reinstalled. As soon as gas was pumped up and filled the bowl, it started. I had both jets set at 1-1/2 turn out. While I was letting it warm up for final adjustment, I noticed water dripping. Upon further inspection I found there is a crack in the side of the top radiator resevoir. Goody Goody goody. Guess I better fix this first so will let you know how it all works out
          Ron

          Chuck Koehler <chuckk@...> wrote:
          SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A TILLOTSON CARB--make sure the choke is closed --
          don't step on the gas pedal as it will stop the choke from working --
          if that fails--make the system richer--and if that fails send it to me
          and i'll check it out for you. CHUCK-K--p/s CHECK the intake manifold
          for
          leaks.

          - In
          Crosley_Gang@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Frost" <ron217_2000@...> wrote:

          > Morning,
          > I have a 1949 ?? engine I'm having a starting problem with. When
          it's
          > cold, the engine refuses to start unless it gets a drink of starting
          > fluid. One I give it a shot it starts and runs just fine. Once
          warmed
          > up a little it will start real well. The carberator is on without an
          > accrelator pump. The fuel pump has been rebuilt. Any ideas?
          > Ron

          Ron Frost
          Kersey, PA
          http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4070123&a=30427007&f=0

          http://community.webshots.com/user/ron15846

          " Collector of other peoples cultured merchandise "