Re: Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Je

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2007
      FWIW,
      I have no idea of what you think you almost had but I will weigh in on this much.  The only motor factory installed which could look like a Briggs would be the opposed twin, AIR COOLED,  Waukesha.  The Cobra would more closely resemble some sort of air craft engine and as a water  cooled motor would have no resemblence to anything made by Briggs and Stratton....I question if they were even in buisness at the time.  North Africa would suggest air cooled to me as well.

      As you live so near an air base that too might explain how it came into your area....perhaps straight out of N Africa.  Keep in mind Crosley made a number of prototype and working "vehilcles" for the Armed Services employing the air cooled Waukesha....Artic power sled, motorcycle, and water cooled head marine engine....ALL Waukesha.  There could have been others.  Air craft still are serviced by rather unique vehicles.

      The Jeep had a number of forms in protype development and Bantam did recieve the first governent contract.  Willys and Ford had to step up respectively because Bantam simply couldn't meet the production schedule.  Ultimately they provided small trailors for the Jeep to the Government and Willys and Ford continued making the vehilces.

      The part which truly troubles me is the FOR was 50s vintage and the first and only 4 wheel drive vehicle from Crosley.  4 wheel drive strongly suggests Jeep to me ESPECIALLY on a diminutive scale.

      Finally I might suggest hunting up the "Confederate Air Force" a group of too wealthy WWII vets who restore vintage air craft.  I am sure someone there was in N Africa and likly might remember your vehicle.  Secondly there are scads of Historic Military vehicle collectors around the US.  Me thinks someone there too should remember your Peep.....whose name again points more to the Jeep than to a Pup or a Crosley vehicle.

      This is all free thinking and serves to point direction rather than resolve.  I hope it might help.

      I will also inquire of Mr Gorrel who probably knows more about the Crosley vehicle and variants of anyone on earth.

      www.kirks-auto.com

    • Derick Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2007
        Thank you Robert,

        When I first posted here, I had the somewhat foolish expectation that
        this would be easy for the experts. I didn't even realize how foggy
        and error prone my own memory was until I started trying to be more
        descriptive than "2/3rds of a Jeep".

        On later visits to Cheyenne, in the early 80's particularly, I did try
        to locate the Peep, but never found anyone who remembered seeing it.

        With the internet to help, I'm going on a mission! I'll take your
        input, along with that from others, and try to track it down.

        As a result of the confusion I've caused, I'm even more interested in
        getting to an informed resolution.

        Thanks for your suggestions/comments, and those of so many others.

        Derick

        And, please Doris, have a picture! ;-) I can hope!

        --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, Robert Kirk <kirkbrit@...> wrote:

        > FWIW,
        > I have no idea of what you think you almost had but I will weigh
        in on this much. The only motor factory installed which could look
        like a Briggs would be the opposed twin, AIR COOLED, Waukesha.
        North Africa would suggest air cooled to me as well. AND MORE!!! Snip
        snip

        > This is all free thinking and serves to point direction rather
        than resolve. I hope it might help.

        > I will also inquire of Mr Gorrel who probably knows more about the
        Crosley vehicle and variants of anyone on earth.

        > Regards,
        > Robert Kirk
        > www.kirks-auto.com

      • David W. Anspach
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
          Derrick;
          Due to my technical ineptitude, it was necessary to ask Lou to be
          so kind as to post the pictures for me. They are in the photo section,
          under miscellaneous, titled A Crosley (and A Crosley 1). See if they
          are what you remember. If anyone else can identify this vehicle, it
          would be appreciated. It has been published as a mystery
          vehicle "Whatsit" and I for one would sure like to know what it is.
          Thanks!!
          Dave Anspach
        • Derick Moore
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
            --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

            > Derick;
            > snip
            > See if they are what you remember. If anyone else can identify this
            > vehicle, it would be appreciated. It has been published as a mystery
            > vehicle.

            Thanks for an interesting try Dave! The corners on the vehicle in
            your pictures are to round. Whatever I had was 'squarer'.

            Also, I note this had a speedometer reading up to 70mph. Whatever I
            had read up to, I think, 50mph.

            Derick

            P.S. My friend Doris passed her photo albums on to her daughter. Now
            I'm hoping that Sheila (the daughter) can find me a picture (or 2 or 3
            or ..).

            P.P.S. I wrote the librarian at the Commemorative Air Force
            http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/ just before Christmas. She
            recently answered with a couple of references, and this quote from the
            book "Indestructible Jeep". It says, "Jeep succeeded in becoming the
            standard term for the 1/4-ton truck in competition with Blitz Buggy,
            Peep, Puddle Jumper, Midget, Pygmy and a number of others..."

            The search continues!