Re: =CROSLEY= Re: Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Jeep.

  • crosley1980@cox.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
      mighty might?
      ---- Foster Furniture <GFOSTER11@...> wrote:
      > There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster

    • Derick Moore
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
        Thanks for the directions Dave,

        I've been racking my brain, trying to 'flesh out' my memories of the car.

        Absolutely Crosley, because of the name plate on the dash. It's one
        of the few things I've simply remembered.

        Two seats, and I don't remember any offset? I think so! ? ! ?

        Metal fenders over the front wheels, yes!

        I-beam for the front bumper, yes!

        The windshield was much wider (aspect ratio wide and low) than I've
        seen in the "Pup" photos. Far more Jeep like. No wipers!

        No top, and I don't think there was any provision for one either.
        (Based on a recollection I have of driving back from a friends farm in
        a snowstorm. Temps around 30-31. I was more wet than cold. If it
        could have had a top, I think I would have rigged a cover from canvas.
        There was lots of it and 'useful junk' at the farm. They had their
        own dump. I still have old white/clear Coke bottles rescued from the
        ravine where they had been putting trash for years and years.)

        I think perhaps the engine is remembered as a Briggs because someone
        said it looked like a Briggs. It might have been anything really. I
        don't remember any kind of adapter plate, it seemed to be a good fit.
        We would have made our own adapter plate for the counterwound VW engine.

        Based on these questionable recollections, and what I can find
        scattered across the internet (would I find more in a good library?)
        I'm thinking that it does fit the "small Jeep" better than the "large
        Pup" category best.
      • Derick Moore
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
          Digging into this is becoming a little obsessive. The more I think
          about it, the less sure I become of some things.

          But, one of the things I am sure of is the Crosley name plate on the dash.

          And, it looked more like a small Jeep than a large Pup. In
          particular, the windshield was wider to accommodate a passenger. (The
          Pup's windshield looks almost square in comparison.)

          The vehicle wasn't 'cute' but more business like.

          --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "Foster Furniture" <GFOSTER11@...> wrote:

          > There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air
          craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a
          possibility.Gary Foster
        • David W. Anspach
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
            Derrick;
            I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
            weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
            modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
            the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
            remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
            more like a jeep than a FOR.

            Dave
          • David W. Anspach
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
              Derrick;
              I just looked at my files and I found the pictures of the "mystery
              vehicle". If you would like, give me an e-mail address, and I'll send
              them to you.
              Dave
            • Derick Moore
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                Dave,

                Not for a moment would I attribute 'wise donkey' status to someone who
                is offering me assistance. I know I don't know!

                I also know that my memory is quite fallible, but I'm quite sure that
                the FOR is too small. I saw a picture where it was sitting in the
                back of a short bed pickup, with the tailgate down.

                The wheelbase of what I'll continue to call a Peep (until I have a
                better designation) was both to wide, and to long.

                I've also noticed an attachment point for towing implements behind the
                FOR. The Peep had no such device, although I admit someone could have
                cut it off.

                I'm now hoping that my friends wife Doris will have a picture that
                includes the vehicle. They had small children, and I remember taking
                pictures with a Super-8 in those years.

                How can I access the 'what is it' picture? I'd be interested in
                seeing if it's in the ballpark.

                Derick

                --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

                > Derrick;
                > I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                > weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                > modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                > the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                > remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                > more like a jeep than a FOR.
                >
                > Dave

              • Moore, Derick
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Certainly Dave,

                  I just spent a few more minutes looking at the Pup.  Prototype number one is shown with two passengers (business types, not soldiers) and fenders over the rear wheels.  I don't remember rear fenders, and I do remember space behind the seats.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                    found a few photos of the mite ,is this close ?some one may have just put the crosley tag on it to try and get it licenced/titled. Gary Foster

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                      Good morning Gary,

                      While I wouldn't go so far as to say "yes that's it", it does come the
                      closest to my remembrance.

                      For one, the hood has a shape tapered to the front. The rear wheels
                      are on the inside, and the proportions look correct.

                      But, the front bumper was more of an I-beam, I don't remember any
                      provision for towing, and if those are hooks on the outside edges of
                      the rear bumper, they don't ring any bells either. Also, the grill
                      area is to tall (I think?).

                      While cruising the ditches of the interstate in low/low, we used to
                      climb into and onto the vehicle from all angles, and this platform
                      looks strong enough to take that treatment without thinking of it as
                      abuse.

                      Oops, I just searched for "Mighty Mite" and then went to the Daryl
                      Bensinger site, and saw another perspective on the Mighty Mite. It
                      isn't long enough in proportion to height.

                      And from http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1137007571014137778AjxULr
                      that engine isn't in the ball park.

                      I think I'm crossing of that possibility, even if it did look very
                      good at the onset.

                      Please Doris, have a picture! ;-)

                      Derick

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                        Derrick;
                        I have tried to reply to you unfortunately your full address does
                        not come through and I can't attach a picture on this e-mail. If you
                        would please send an e-mail to my work address
                        danspach@... I will attach the whatisit pictures and send
                        them to you.
                        Dave.
                        PS. Perhaps Lou would consent to having them posted on this site so
                        maybe someone else could identify it.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                          "David W. Anspach"
                          <tmkldwwj@...> wrote: