Re: =CROSLEY= Re: Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Jeep.

  • Foster Furniture
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
      There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
        mighty might?
        > There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster

      • Derick Moore
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
          Thanks for the directions Dave,

          I've been racking my brain, trying to 'flesh out' my memories of the car.

          Absolutely Crosley, because of the name plate on the dash. It's one
          of the few things I've simply remembered.

          Two seats, and I don't remember any offset? I think so! ? ! ?

          Metal fenders over the front wheels, yes!

          I-beam for the front bumper, yes!

          The windshield was much wider (aspect ratio wide and low) than I've
          seen in the "Pup" photos. Far more Jeep like. No wipers!

          No top, and I don't think there was any provision for one either.
          (Based on a recollection I have of driving back from a friends farm in
          a snowstorm. Temps around 30-31. I was more wet than cold. If it
          could have had a top, I think I would have rigged a cover from canvas.
          There was lots of it and 'useful junk' at the farm. They had their
          own dump. I still have old white/clear Coke bottles rescued from the
          ravine where they had been putting trash for years and years.)

          I think perhaps the engine is remembered as a Briggs because someone
          said it looked like a Briggs. It might have been anything really. I
          don't remember any kind of adapter plate, it seemed to be a good fit.
          We would have made our own adapter plate for the counterwound VW engine.

          Based on these questionable recollections, and what I can find
          scattered across the internet (would I find more in a good library?)
          I'm thinking that it does fit the "small Jeep" better than the "large
          Pup" category best.
        • Derick Moore
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
            Digging into this is becoming a little obsessive. The more I think
            about it, the less sure I become of some things.

            But, one of the things I am sure of is the Crosley name plate on the dash.

            And, it looked more like a small Jeep than a large Pup. In
            particular, the windshield was wider to accommodate a passenger. (The
            Pup's windshield looks almost square in comparison.)

            The vehicle wasn't 'cute' but more business like.

            --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "Foster Furniture" <GFOSTER11@...> wrote:

            > There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air
            craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a
            possibility.Gary Foster
          • David W. Anspach
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
              Derrick;
              I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
              weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
              modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
              the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
              remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
              more like a jeep than a FOR.

              Dave
            • David W. Anspach
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                Derrick;
                I just looked at my files and I found the pictures of the "mystery
                vehicle". If you would like, give me an e-mail address, and I'll send
                them to you.
                Dave
              • Derick Moore
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Dave,

                  Not for a moment would I attribute 'wise donkey' status to someone who
                  is offering me assistance. I know I don't know!

                  I also know that my memory is quite fallible, but I'm quite sure that
                  the FOR is too small. I saw a picture where it was sitting in the
                  back of a short bed pickup, with the tailgate down.

                  The wheelbase of what I'll continue to call a Peep (until I have a
                  better designation) was both to wide, and to long.

                  I've also noticed an attachment point for towing implements behind the
                  FOR. The Peep had no such device, although I admit someone could have
                  cut it off.

                  I'm now hoping that my friends wife Doris will have a picture that
                  includes the vehicle. They had small children, and I remember taking
                  pictures with a Super-8 in those years.

                  How can I access the 'what is it' picture? I'd be interested in
                  seeing if it's in the ballpark.

                  Derick

                  --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

                  > Derrick;
                  > I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                  > weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                  > modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                  > the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                  > remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                  > more like a jeep than a FOR.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Moore, Derick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                    Certainly Dave,

                    I just spent a few more minutes looking at the Pup.  Prototype number one is shown with two passengers (business types, not soldiers) and fenders over the rear wheels.  I don't remember rear fenders, and I do remember space behind the seats.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                      found a few photos of the mite ,is this close ?some one may have just put the crosley tag on it to try and get it licenced/titled. Gary Foster

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                        Good morning Gary,

                        While I wouldn't go so far as to say "yes that's it", it does come the
                        closest to my remembrance.

                        For one, the hood has a shape tapered to the front. The rear wheels
                        are on the inside, and the proportions look correct.

                        But, the front bumper was more of an I-beam, I don't remember any
                        provision for towing, and if those are hooks on the outside edges of
                        the rear bumper, they don't ring any bells either. Also, the grill
                        area is to tall (I think?).

                        While cruising the ditches of the interstate in low/low, we used to
                        climb into and onto the vehicle from all angles, and this platform
                        looks strong enough to take that treatment without thinking of it as
                        abuse.

                        Oops, I just searched for "Mighty Mite" and then went to the Daryl
                        Bensinger site, and saw another perspective on the Mighty Mite. It
                        isn't long enough in proportion to height.

                        And from http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1137007571014137778AjxULr
                        that engine isn't in the ball park.

                        I think I'm crossing of that possibility, even if it did look very
                        good at the onset.

                        Please Doris, have a picture! ;-)

                        Derick

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                          Derrick;
                          I have tried to reply to you unfortunately your full address does
                          not come through and I can't attach a picture on this e-mail. If you
                          would please send an e-mail to my work address
                          danspach@... I will attach the whatisit pictures and send
                          them to you.
                          Dave.
                          PS. Perhaps Lou would consent to having them posted on this site so
                          maybe someone else could identify it.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                            "David W. Anspach"
                            <tmkldwwj@...> wrote: