Re: Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Jeep.

  • David W. Anspach
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
      Derrick;
      There is some information on the PUP in the Crosley Automobile
      Club files. If you contact Fred Syrdal, editor of the Crosley
      Quarterly, he may be able to find it and perhaps you can make
      arrangements for some copies. I think i have a DVD around here
      somewhere on history of the Jeep that also has some pictures of one on
      it. There are a few still in existance in the hands of private
      collectors including one in England. The military has one in a museum
      in the West somewhere also. The vehicle you had was obviously
      modified (Briggs engine instead of the original Waukesha)so possibly
      the fenders were changed from their original cloth also, which may
      account for the difference in appearance. Does your memory extend to
      the offset seating?? That was one of the design oddities in the PUP.
      Dave Anspach
    • Foster Furniture
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
        There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
          mighty might?
          > There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster

        • Derick Moore
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
            Thanks for the directions Dave,

            I've been racking my brain, trying to 'flesh out' my memories of the car.

            Absolutely Crosley, because of the name plate on the dash. It's one
            of the few things I've simply remembered.

            Two seats, and I don't remember any offset? I think so! ? ! ?

            Metal fenders over the front wheels, yes!

            I-beam for the front bumper, yes!

            The windshield was much wider (aspect ratio wide and low) than I've
            seen in the "Pup" photos. Far more Jeep like. No wipers!

            No top, and I don't think there was any provision for one either.
            (Based on a recollection I have of driving back from a friends farm in
            a snowstorm. Temps around 30-31. I was more wet than cold. If it
            could have had a top, I think I would have rigged a cover from canvas.
            There was lots of it and 'useful junk' at the farm. They had their
            own dump. I still have old white/clear Coke bottles rescued from the
            ravine where they had been putting trash for years and years.)

            I think perhaps the engine is remembered as a Briggs because someone
            said it looked like a Briggs. It might have been anything really. I
            don't remember any kind of adapter plate, it seemed to be a good fit.
            We would have made our own adapter plate for the counterwound VW engine.

            Based on these questionable recollections, and what I can find
            scattered across the internet (would I find more in a good library?)
            I'm thinking that it does fit the "small Jeep" better than the "large
            Pup" category best.
          • Derick Moore
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
              Digging into this is becoming a little obsessive. The more I think
              about it, the less sure I become of some things.

              But, one of the things I am sure of is the Crosley name plate on the dash.

              And, it looked more like a small Jeep than a large Pup. In
              particular, the windshield was wider to accommodate a passenger. (The
              Pup's windshield looks almost square in comparison.)

              The vehicle wasn't 'cute' but more business like.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                Derrick;
                I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                more like a jeep than a FOR.

                Dave
              • David W. Anspach
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Derrick;
                  I just looked at my files and I found the pictures of the "mystery
                  vehicle". If you would like, give me an e-mail address, and I'll send
                  them to you.
                  Dave
                • Derick Moore
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                    Dave,

                    Not for a moment would I attribute 'wise donkey' status to someone who
                    is offering me assistance. I know I don't know!

                    I also know that my memory is quite fallible, but I'm quite sure that
                    the FOR is too small. I saw a picture where it was sitting in the
                    back of a short bed pickup, with the tailgate down.

                    The wheelbase of what I'll continue to call a Peep (until I have a
                    better designation) was both to wide, and to long.

                    I've also noticed an attachment point for towing implements behind the
                    FOR. The Peep had no such device, although I admit someone could have
                    cut it off.

                    I'm now hoping that my friends wife Doris will have a picture that
                    includes the vehicle. They had small children, and I remember taking
                    pictures with a Super-8 in those years.

                    How can I access the 'what is it' picture? I'd be interested in
                    seeing if it's in the ballpark.

                    Derick

                    --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

                    > Derrick;
                    > I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                    > weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                    > modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                    > the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                    > remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                    > more like a jeep than a FOR.
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • Moore, Derick
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                      Certainly Dave,

                      I just spent a few more minutes looking at the Pup.  Prototype number one is shown with two passengers (business types, not soldiers) and fenders over the rear wheels.  I don't remember rear fenders, and I do remember space behind the seats.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                        found a few photos of the mite ,is this close ?some one may have just put the crosley tag on it to try and get it licenced/titled. Gary Foster

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                          Good morning Gary,

                          While I wouldn't go so far as to say "yes that's it", it does come the
                          closest to my remembrance.

                          For one, the hood has a shape tapered to the front. The rear wheels
                          are on the inside, and the proportions look correct.

                          But, the front bumper was more of an I-beam, I don't remember any
                          provision for towing, and if those are hooks on the outside edges of
                          the rear bumper, they don't ring any bells either. Also, the grill
                          area is to tall (I think?).

                          While cruising the ditches of the interstate in low/low, we used to
                          climb into and onto the vehicle from all angles, and this platform
                          looks strong enough to take that treatment without thinking of it as
                          abuse.

                          Oops, I just searched for "Mighty Mite" and then went to the Daryl
                          Bensinger site, and saw another perspective on the Mighty Mite. It
                          isn't long enough in proportion to height.

                          And from http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1137007571014137778AjxULr
                          that engine isn't in the ball park.

                          I think I'm crossing of that possibility, even if it did look very
                          good at the onset.

                          Please Doris, have a picture! ;-)

                          Derick

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                            Derrick;
                            I have tried to reply to you unfortunately your full address does
                            not come through and I can't attach a picture on this e-mail. If you
                            would please send an e-mail to my work address
                            danspach@... I will attach the whatisit pictures and send
                            them to you.
                            Dave.
                            PS. Perhaps Lou would consent to having them posted on this site so
                            maybe someone else could identify it.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                              "David W. Anspach"
                              <tmkldwwj@...> wrote: