Re: Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Jeep.

  • Derick Moore
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2007
      I'm replying to my own post because, even with the short time this has
      been posted, I'm getting discouraged that anyone knows about this vehicle.

      The Crofton vehicles are to small, and have rounded corners.

      The Peep was much to big to fit into the bed of even a long bed
      pickup. We often used it to haul three people, and sometimes four.
      It was very war time Jeep like, both in design, and capabilities.
      I-80 passes very close by F.E. Warren AFB, and I used to drive figure
      8's on the cement banks of the interstate support bridges where the
      railroad passes through the base. It had a tight turning radius, and
      wasn't particularly heavy.

      There was no provision for taking it out of four wheel drive mode. It
      was fun on the farm/ranch roads. I used to set the wheel right (or
      left) as I slid into a corner, and wait for it to grab on all four
      wheels to head down the next straight piece of road. The wheels were
      quite narrow, and it handled ice well. I bought it in late fall and
      returned it in early spring.

      It didn't have any doors, and I don't think the 'tailgate' dropped.
      (I'm sick that I never took a picture of the thing. So young so dumb.)

      I had a married friend whose wife is still alive who might have taken
      a picture that includes the Peep. I'm going to try and contact her to
      see if she remembers the car. She should as she rode in it! Maybe
      there is a picture.

      I really hope someone here can help me. It would drive me nuts to
      find out that I had the only Peep to make it back from the war in
      Africa and I didn't keep it.

      Derick

      P.S. I can't see how it can help me, but I remembered that it was
      "Curley" at Dineen Motors who was selling the vehicle.
    • Derick Moore
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2007
        Hey, how about this!

        I have searched the internet many times over the last ten or so years.
        Because I always searched for "Peep" I didn't find this until now.

        Searching for "Crosley Jeep Bantam" because someone is selling a
        Crosley Jeep switch on eBay, I found:
        http://books.google.com/books?id=dR3wmKlfnrMC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=crosley+jeep+bantam&source=web&ots=M87Uwn2PkR&sig=kOdAN4u06-5E9NQT-J8iiNQjCwc#PPA32,M1

        The picture here doesn't match the vehicle I had, but it comes fairly
        close.

        The diameter of the wheels are to small, it's to narrow, and to short.
        They are calling it a "Pup", but it sounds like I had one of those
        that didn't go into volume production. Mine had room behind the seats
        for two more people (though they had to interleave legs).
      • David W. Anspach
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
          Derrick;
          There is some information on the PUP in the Crosley Automobile
          Club files. If you contact Fred Syrdal, editor of the Crosley
          Quarterly, he may be able to find it and perhaps you can make
          arrangements for some copies. I think i have a DVD around here
          somewhere on history of the Jeep that also has some pictures of one on
          it. There are a few still in existance in the hands of private
          collectors including one in England. The military has one in a museum
          in the West somewhere also. The vehicle you had was obviously
          modified (Briggs engine instead of the original Waukesha)so possibly
          the fenders were changed from their original cloth also, which may
          account for the difference in appearance. Does your memory extend to
          the offset seating?? That was one of the design oddities in the PUP.
          Dave Anspach
        • Foster Furniture
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
            There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster

          • crosley1980@cox.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
              mighty might?

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                Thanks for the directions Dave,

                I've been racking my brain, trying to 'flesh out' my memories of the car.

                Absolutely Crosley, because of the name plate on the dash. It's one
                of the few things I've simply remembered.

                Two seats, and I don't remember any offset? I think so! ? ! ?

                Metal fenders over the front wheels, yes!

                I-beam for the front bumper, yes!

                The windshield was much wider (aspect ratio wide and low) than I've
                seen in the "Pup" photos. Far more Jeep like. No wipers!

                No top, and I don't think there was any provision for one either.
                (Based on a recollection I have of driving back from a friends farm in
                a snowstorm. Temps around 30-31. I was more wet than cold. If it
                could have had a top, I think I would have rigged a cover from canvas.
                There was lots of it and 'useful junk' at the farm. They had their
                own dump. I still have old white/clear Coke bottles rescued from the
                ravine where they had been putting trash for years and years.)

                I think perhaps the engine is remembered as a Briggs because someone
                said it looked like a Briggs. It might have been anything really. I
                don't remember any kind of adapter plate, it seemed to be a good fit.
                We would have made our own adapter plate for the counterwound VW engine.

                Based on these questionable recollections, and what I can find
                scattered across the internet (would I find more in a good library?)
                I'm thinking that it does fit the "small Jeep" better than the "large
                Pup" category best.
              • Derick Moore
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Digging into this is becoming a little obsessive. The more I think
                  about it, the less sure I become of some things.

                  But, one of the things I am sure of is the Crosley name plate on the dash.

                  And, it looked more like a small Jeep than a large Pup. In
                  particular, the windshield was wider to accommodate a passenger. (The
                  Pup's windshield looks almost square in comparison.)

                  The vehicle wasn't 'cute' but more business like.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                    Derrick;
                    I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                    weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                    modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                    the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                    remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                    more like a jeep than a FOR.

                    Dave
                  • David W. Anspach
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                      Derrick;
                      I just looked at my files and I found the pictures of the "mystery
                      vehicle". If you would like, give me an e-mail address, and I'll send
                      them to you.
                      Dave
                    • Derick Moore
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                        Dave,

                        Not for a moment would I attribute 'wise donkey' status to someone who
                        is offering me assistance. I know I don't know!

                        I also know that my memory is quite fallible, but I'm quite sure that
                        the FOR is too small. I saw a picture where it was sitting in the
                        back of a short bed pickup, with the tailgate down.

                        The wheelbase of what I'll continue to call a Peep (until I have a
                        better designation) was both to wide, and to long.

                        I've also noticed an attachment point for towing implements behind the
                        FOR. The Peep had no such device, although I admit someone could have
                        cut it off.

                        I'm now hoping that my friends wife Doris will have a picture that
                        includes the vehicle. They had small children, and I remember taking
                        pictures with a Super-8 in those years.

                        How can I access the 'what is it' picture? I'd be interested in
                        seeing if it's in the ballpark.

                        Derick

                        --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

                        > Derrick;
                        > I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                        > weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                        > modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                        > the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                        > remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                        > more like a jeep than a FOR.
                        >
                        > Dave

                      • Moore, Derick
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                          Certainly Dave,

                          I just spent a few more minutes looking at the Pup.  Prototype number one is shown with two passengers (business types, not soldiers) and fenders over the rear wheels.  I don't remember rear fenders, and I do remember space behind the seats.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                            found a few photos of the mite ,is this close ?some one may have just put the crosley tag on it to try and get it licenced/titled. Gary Foster

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                              Good morning Gary,

                              While I wouldn't go so far as to say "yes that's it", it does come the
                              closest to my remembrance.

                              For one, the hood has a shape tapered to the front. The rear wheels
                              are on the inside, and the proportions look correct.

                              But, the front bumper was more of an I-beam, I don't remember any
                              provision for towing, and if those are hooks on the outside edges of
                              the rear bumper, they don't ring any bells either. Also, the grill
                              area is to tall (I think?).

                              While cruising the ditches of the interstate in low/low, we used to
                              climb into and onto the vehicle from all angles, and this platform
                              looks strong enough to take that treatment without thinking of it as
                              abuse.

                              Oops, I just searched for "Mighty Mite" and then went to the Daryl
                              Bensinger site, and saw another perspective on the Mighty Mite. It
                              isn't long enough in proportion to height.

                              And from http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1137007571014137778AjxULr
                              that engine isn't in the ball park.

                              I think I'm crossing of that possibility, even if it did look very
                              good at the onset.

                              Please Doris, have a picture! ;-)

                              Derick

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                                Derrick;
                                I have tried to reply to you unfortunately your full address does
                                not come through and I can't attach a picture on this e-mail. If you
                                would please send an e-mail to my work address
                                danspach@... I will attach the whatisit pictures and send
                                them to you.
                                Dave.
                                PS. Perhaps Lou would consent to having them posted on this site so
                                maybe someone else could identify it.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                                  "David W. Anspach"
                                  <tmkldwwj@...> wrote: