Nicknamed a Peep, 2/3rds the size of a Jeep and looked like a Jeep.

  • Derick Moore
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 17, 2007
      Good afternoon all,

      In about 1965, I bought a Crosley 4 wheel drive automobile from a car
      salesman who said he represented a private owner. I paid $200 for it,
      but couldn't get a title. Regrettably, I asked for my money back and
      didn't keep it. (40+ years later, and I'm still angry with myself for
      not checking with the license bureau in Cheyenne Wy. I probably could
      have signed an affidavit and kept it without any problem.)

      I've looked here for a picture that would depict a vehicle of the same
      variety, but haven't found anything like it.

      When I got it, it had a Briggs engine which might not have been
      original for the car. It had, I think, a 3 speed transmission with
      high/low ranges, and no top. I was told by the salesman that they
      were parachuted into North Africa. It had the original number plate
      on the dash, and I can still remember the fact that it was most
      definitely a Crosley. I was also told that they were nicknamed 'Peep's'.

      A friend an I discussed putting a reverse wind (crankshaft) VW engine
      in it, as it would have fit. I don't know how long it would have
      operated with that much power.

      I think it had seen service as it had quite a bit of wear, but it
      still ran and was fun in the hills around town. I also don't know how
      it came to be in Cheyenne.

      Does anyone have information about this vehicle? I'd like to know
      more about their history etc.

      Derick Moore

      P.S. Being in the Air Force at the time, my friend and I would
      ride/walk with the car in the ditches alongside I-80 and pick up
      aluminum cans and refundable bottles to buy gas for the car. It was
      perfect for the task when idling in low low.
    • Derick Moore
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2007
        I'm replying to my own post because, even with the short time this has
        been posted, I'm getting discouraged that anyone knows about this vehicle.

        The Crofton vehicles are to small, and have rounded corners.

        The Peep was much to big to fit into the bed of even a long bed
        pickup. We often used it to haul three people, and sometimes four.
        It was very war time Jeep like, both in design, and capabilities.
        I-80 passes very close by F.E. Warren AFB, and I used to drive figure
        8's on the cement banks of the interstate support bridges where the
        railroad passes through the base. It had a tight turning radius, and
        wasn't particularly heavy.

        There was no provision for taking it out of four wheel drive mode. It
        was fun on the farm/ranch roads. I used to set the wheel right (or
        left) as I slid into a corner, and wait for it to grab on all four
        wheels to head down the next straight piece of road. The wheels were
        quite narrow, and it handled ice well. I bought it in late fall and
        returned it in early spring.

        It didn't have any doors, and I don't think the 'tailgate' dropped.
        (I'm sick that I never took a picture of the thing. So young so dumb.)

        I had a married friend whose wife is still alive who might have taken
        a picture that includes the Peep. I'm going to try and contact her to
        see if she remembers the car. She should as she rode in it! Maybe
        there is a picture.

        I really hope someone here can help me. It would drive me nuts to
        find out that I had the only Peep to make it back from the war in
        Africa and I didn't keep it.

        Derick

        P.S. I can't see how it can help me, but I remembered that it was
        "Curley" at Dineen Motors who was selling the vehicle.
      • Derick Moore
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 18, 2007
          Hey, how about this!

          I have searched the internet many times over the last ten or so years.
          Because I always searched for "Peep" I didn't find this until now.

          Searching for "Crosley Jeep Bantam" because someone is selling a
          Crosley Jeep switch on eBay, I found:
          http://books.google.com/books?id=dR3wmKlfnrMC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=crosley+jeep+bantam&source=web&ots=M87Uwn2PkR&sig=kOdAN4u06-5E9NQT-J8iiNQjCwc#PPA32,M1

          The picture here doesn't match the vehicle I had, but it comes fairly
          close.

          The diameter of the wheels are to small, it's to narrow, and to short.
          They are calling it a "Pup", but it sounds like I had one of those
          that didn't go into volume production. Mine had room behind the seats
          for two more people (though they had to interleave legs).
        • David W. Anspach
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
            Derrick;
            There is some information on the PUP in the Crosley Automobile
            Club files. If you contact Fred Syrdal, editor of the Crosley
            Quarterly, he may be able to find it and perhaps you can make
            arrangements for some copies. I think i have a DVD around here
            somewhere on history of the Jeep that also has some pictures of one on
            it. There are a few still in existance in the hands of private
            collectors including one in England. The military has one in a museum
            in the West somewhere also. The vehicle you had was obviously
            modified (Briggs engine instead of the original Waukesha)so possibly
            the fenders were changed from their original cloth also, which may
            account for the difference in appearance. Does your memory extend to
            the offset seating?? That was one of the design oddities in the PUP.
            Dave Anspach
          • Foster Furniture
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
              There was also a smaller scale willys built for use as tugs in air craft carriers,not many made and I have only seen fuzzy photos but a possibility.Gary Foster

            • crosley1980@cox.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                mighty might?

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Thanks for the directions Dave,

                  I've been racking my brain, trying to 'flesh out' my memories of the car.

                  Absolutely Crosley, because of the name plate on the dash. It's one
                  of the few things I've simply remembered.

                  Two seats, and I don't remember any offset? I think so! ? ! ?

                  Metal fenders over the front wheels, yes!

                  I-beam for the front bumper, yes!

                  The windshield was much wider (aspect ratio wide and low) than I've
                  seen in the "Pup" photos. Far more Jeep like. No wipers!

                  No top, and I don't think there was any provision for one either.
                  (Based on a recollection I have of driving back from a friends farm in
                  a snowstorm. Temps around 30-31. I was more wet than cold. If it
                  could have had a top, I think I would have rigged a cover from canvas.
                  There was lots of it and 'useful junk' at the farm. They had their
                  own dump. I still have old white/clear Coke bottles rescued from the
                  ravine where they had been putting trash for years and years.)

                  I think perhaps the engine is remembered as a Briggs because someone
                  said it looked like a Briggs. It might have been anything really. I
                  don't remember any kind of adapter plate, it seemed to be a good fit.
                  We would have made our own adapter plate for the counterwound VW engine.

                  Based on these questionable recollections, and what I can find
                  scattered across the internet (would I find more in a good library?)
                  I'm thinking that it does fit the "small Jeep" better than the "large
                  Pup" category best.
                • Derick Moore
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                    Digging into this is becoming a little obsessive. The more I think
                    about it, the less sure I become of some things.

                    But, one of the things I am sure of is the Crosley name plate on the dash.

                    And, it looked more like a small Jeep than a large Pup. In
                    particular, the windshield was wider to accommodate a passenger. (The
                    Pup's windshield looks almost square in comparison.)

                    The vehicle wasn't 'cute' but more business like.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                      Derrick;
                      I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                      weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                      modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                      the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                      remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                      more like a jeep than a FOR.

                      Dave
                    • David W. Anspach
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                        Derrick;
                        I just looked at my files and I found the pictures of the "mystery
                        vehicle". If you would like, give me an e-mail address, and I'll send
                        them to you.
                        Dave
                      • Derick Moore
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                          Dave,

                          Not for a moment would I attribute 'wise donkey' status to someone who
                          is offering me assistance. I know I don't know!

                          I also know that my memory is quite fallible, but I'm quite sure that
                          the FOR is too small. I saw a picture where it was sitting in the
                          back of a short bed pickup, with the tailgate down.

                          The wheelbase of what I'll continue to call a Peep (until I have a
                          better designation) was both to wide, and to long.

                          I've also noticed an attachment point for towing implements behind the
                          FOR. The Peep had no such device, although I admit someone could have
                          cut it off.

                          I'm now hoping that my friends wife Doris will have a picture that
                          includes the vehicle. They had small children, and I remember taking
                          pictures with a Super-8 in those years.

                          How can I access the 'what is it' picture? I'd be interested in
                          seeing if it's in the ballpark.

                          Derick

                          --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Anspach" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:

                          > Derrick;
                          > I am not trying to be a "wise donkey" here, but are you sure you
                          > weren't looking at a modified Farm-O-Road? I've seen a couple
                          > modified for 4WD. Also I featured a whatzit a while back in
                          > the "restin and rustin" Column in the Crosley Quarterly that still
                          > remains a mystery vehicle. It had Crosley features but the body was
                          > more like a jeep than a FOR.
                          >
                          > Dave

                        • Moore, Derick
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                            Certainly Dave,

                            I just spent a few more minutes looking at the Pup.  Prototype number one is shown with two passengers (business types, not soldiers) and fenders over the rear wheels.  I don't remember rear fenders, and I do remember space behind the seats.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 19, 2007
                              found a few photos of the mite ,is this close ?some one may have just put the crosley tag on it to try and get it licenced/titled. Gary Foster

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                                Good morning Gary,

                                While I wouldn't go so far as to say "yes that's it", it does come the
                                closest to my remembrance.

                                For one, the hood has a shape tapered to the front. The rear wheels
                                are on the inside, and the proportions look correct.

                                But, the front bumper was more of an I-beam, I don't remember any
                                provision for towing, and if those are hooks on the outside edges of
                                the rear bumper, they don't ring any bells either. Also, the grill
                                area is to tall (I think?).

                                While cruising the ditches of the interstate in low/low, we used to
                                climb into and onto the vehicle from all angles, and this platform
                                looks strong enough to take that treatment without thinking of it as
                                abuse.

                                Oops, I just searched for "Mighty Mite" and then went to the Daryl
                                Bensinger site, and saw another perspective on the Mighty Mite. It
                                isn't long enough in proportion to height.

                                And from http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1137007571014137778AjxULr
                                that engine isn't in the ball park.

                                I think I'm crossing of that possibility, even if it did look very
                                good at the onset.

                                Please Doris, have a picture! ;-)

                                Derick

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 26, 2007
                                  Derrick;
                                  I have tried to reply to you unfortunately your full address does
                                  not come through and I can't attach a picture on this e-mail. If you
                                  would please send an e-mail to my work address
                                  danspach@... I will attach the whatisit pictures and send
                                  them to you.
                                  Dave.
                                  PS. Perhaps Lou would consent to having them posted on this site so
                                  maybe someone else could identify it.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 27, 2007
                                    "David W. Anspach"
                                    <tmkldwwj@...> wrote: