pre/post war hub caps

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2007
      I am going to try and have both pre war and post war hubcaps made.  If anyone has a decent used sample to loan of a prewar I would appreciate it.  It will be returned and a concession made if the loaner wants my repros.  I am looking at having them one piece made in Stainless steel...

      Woud appreciate any input as to the propriety of the post war hub caps.  There are both high dome and low dome and I have samples of each however I have no idea which may be more proper.  I think I heard that the high dome were replaced because they so easily damaged near curbs.  I will have only one style made and would like to hear from those who know or anyone with any input.

      Thanks

      www.kirks-auto.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
        Robert, I'm thinking
        there may be a desire
        for the flatter
        hubcaps, as to my
        knowledge those haven't
        been subject to any
        remanufacture. I'd be
        delighted to loan you a
        mint flat cap; those
        were stamped with both
        the arrow-script logo
        and the
        later 'speedline' logo.

        (History note: Trans
        World Airlines, on
        whose board of
        directors Powel Crosley
        Jr. served, had an
        arrow-based logo at the
        time that was nearly
        identical to Crosley's
        arrow-script logo, and
        it's thought that Powel
        agreed to modify the
        Crosley design enough
        to avoid any confusion -
        in case anyone would
        potentially be
        confused - and ergo the
        late speedline logo.)

        Robert Kirk
        <kirkbrit@...> wrote:

        "I am going to try and
        have both pre war and
        post war hubcaps made.
        If anyone has a decent
        used sample to loan of
        a prewar I would
        appreciate it. It will
        be returned and a
        concession made if the
        loaner wants my
        repros. I am looking
        at having them one
        piece made in Stainless
        steel...

        Would appreciate any
        input as to the
        propriety of the post
        war hub caps. There
        are both high dome and
        low dome and I have
        samples of each however
        I have no idea which
        may be more proper. I
        think I heard that the
        high dome were replaced
        because they so easily
        damaged near curbs. I
        will have only one
        style made and would
        like to hear from those
        who know or anyone with
        any input."

      • jimemco55@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
          I have 5 caps,one of which says "crosmobile" on it. They are in fair shape,(meaning no rust-through) and are for sale. I am in Akron,Ohio 44312. E-mail me if any interest. Jim

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
             those
            were stamped with both
            the arrow-script logo
            and the
            later 'speedline' logo.

            Lew, if I read you correctly the arrow script was the original and included, as my failing memory recalls, a segmented or multi broken arrow.  The speedline is what we find on most post war models.  Have you any idea when the change occured?  I think we need to speak and I can't easily find your number.  How about a direct contact via email.
            THANKS
            RK

            www.kirks-auto.com

          • David W. Anspach
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
              Robert;
              I would agree with Lou that there may be a desire for the flatter
              cap. Yankee Crosley is having the high dome made and what I've seen
              of them they are really nice. I just fear I will do to them what
              happened to the original high domes. That is, damage them every time
              I park at a curb. In any case, I wish you luck in your quest. Even
              the Chinese want a minimum commitment for the caps and some tooling
              investment. I made an effort on the flat cap a number of years ago
              and just couldn't afford the minimum investment along with the problem
              of communication with the Chinese (tried India also). If I remember
              right, they wanted a minimum order of 1,000 caps for initial
              production and an investment of several thousand dollars for tooling
              up front.
              As far as the arrow on the hubcap, I have seen both the full
              arrow and the single line on both high and low dome caps and on
              vehicles of all years. If someone has a definate timeline, I'd like
              to see it too. I have seen high domes on pictures of cars from the
              factory up to 1952.
              Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
                The '39-through-'42