Re:"Auto Magazines" !!!!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2007
      For me it was my uncle Homer and his old Popular Mechanics, Popular
      Science, and Mechancix Illustrated.
       Tom MaCahill is still quoted from MI in countless web sites and internet places.  I first learned of the Wankel engine and have followed its success and problems from inseption discovered in one of those mags back in the 50s.  I recall an article for building a custom sports car based on a Triumph Spitfire chassis, 3 cyl diesel motor and body made of styrofoam!  The local junk yard actually had a run on wrecked Spritfires all due to an article in one of the above.
      I however became a bit jaded when I discovered/suspected mags such as Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc. tended to "write" to their advertisers....never really saying anything "bad" about a particular model and working more as agents of Detroit rather than facts distributors.  Worse, ignoring the little orphan makers or deriding them to upshoot the Big 3.

      www.kirks-auto.com