Crosley

  • x779@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13, 2007
      EMAIL THIS Email

      TIME.com
      Powered by
       * Please note, the sender's email address has not been verified.

      From TIME, October 1938:

       Click the following to access the sent link:

      Crosley Cars*

       SAVE THIS linkFORWARD THIS link

      Click here to visit our advertiser.

       *This article can also be accessed if you copy and paste the entire address below into your web browser.
      http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,883830,00.html

    • Richard Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2009
        First I would like to thank all for the oil info. Very interesting.
        I have just added 3, yes three Crosley S.W.'s to my 48 S.W. I now have a '48 "NELLIE", 49, 50 and 51 Super. All S.W.'s. The 3 new adds are in poor condition. Haven't figured which to restore as yet. Making more room for them in my shop.
        Didn't know till recently that Crosley put disc brakes on anything but Hot Shots. My '49 and '50 both have factory dics brakes on them. Rare I think but heard that Crosley stopped because they were freezing up in the winter back east.
        I will have to learn this brake system as I think it may be the best. The '51 Super has standard hydros.
        Anyway I just had to save these little cars, even if I don't rebuild them all.
        Rich W

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
            Have the chance to purchase a spare motor from a man I met at the Big Three Auto Swap in San Diego a few weks ago....whats a price range of these units these days?

            Eider....

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
              Richard Williams wrote:

              "First I would like to thank all for the oil info. Very interesting. I have just added 3, yes three Crosley S.W.'s to my 48 S.W. I now have a '48 "NELLIE", 49, 50 and 51 Super. All S.W.'s. The 3 new adds are in poor condition. Haven't figured which to restore as yet. Making more room for them in my shop."
              ==========
              Welcome aboard, Rich. Thank you for rescuing those cars.
              ==========
              "Didn't know till recently that Crosley put disc brakes on anything but Hot Shots. My '49 and '50 both have factory dics brakes on them. Rare I think but heard that Crosley stopped because they were freezing up in the winter back east."
              Yes, they suffered from ice and wintertime corrosion. Powel Crosley could be a bit stubborn; he was told that a fifty-cent rubber seal would protect the brakes, but he said no. That mistake came right on the heels of the COBRA engine disaster. "For want of a nail ..."
              "Anyway I just had to save these little cars, even if I don't rebuild them all.
              Rich W"

              Right on, Rich; I'm very familiar with that feeling myself, and it's a good feeling.

              =Lou R.=
            • uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010