Crosley military generator.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2014
      Greetings:

      I was going through a friend's tractor collection a couple of weeks ago and discovered that he had an old Crosley military generator stashed amongst them.
      It seems to be complete and did run at one time though I don't know how long ago that might have been. He's also got another Crosley engine with a transmission
      still attached. The original fuel tank was rotted through when he got the unit and he has had another tank fabricated.

      I know the generator is rare but have no idea of what it might be worth. We had several of them when I was stationed at Duke Field in Florida in 1966 and this is the
      first one I've run across since then. Could you point me to a source to determine it's value and the value of the engine/transmission that he has?

      I do have a couple of pictures of both items but they are not of greatest quality. I'll be back at his place in a couple of weeks and will attempt to get better pictures of
      the generator and the other engine and the identification plates on them.

      Thanks for your assistance.

      Troy
    • mail05@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2014
        The generator engines are desirable since they have a steel rather than cast iron crankshaft and a heavier duty crankcase - usually with strapped main bearings. To build a vintage race engine with the "proper look" use a lete (car) turbolator block with everything else from the military engine. The crank alone can be worth up to a grand. It also makes a bulletproof street engine good for up to 7000 RPM at least.  Jarl