CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB (CCOC) has sent you a video - Historic Crosley building could be converted into apartments

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2014

      Historic Crosley building could be converted into apartments
      Clip_Summary_Image
      Play_Now_Button
      A new dawn for the Crosley Building in Cincinnati?

    • Lou Rugani
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2014

        The historic Crosley building in Camp Washington could be in for a facelift if a developer gets its way. It's a building you can't miss if you're driving along Interstate 75 near Spring Grove Avenue. Plans are in the works to convert the building into apartments.

        When the Crosley building was built back in 1928, it was designed to look like a radio set and it attracted a lot of people to Camp Washington. But it's  been sitting vacant for the last 20 years and has become a blight on the neighborhood. Most of the building's windows have been broken and the building has become a target for vandals and graffiti artists.

        Decades ago radios and other appliances were built in the Crosley building and for a time it was the home of WLW radio.

        Joseph Gorman, community organizer with the Camp Washington Community Board, says plans to turn the building into apartments will energize the neighborhood.

        "We think the impact of redeveloping this building into 238 market rate apartments is going to be a very large boost for the community," he said.

        The Crosley building is surrounded by mostly industrial companies. Economy Shingle Sales is on nearby Spring Grove Avenue where owner Clarence Kelly has a 1934 Crosley radio in his store. Kelly says turning the Crosley building into apartments would be good for the neighborhood. "I think it would be a great thing that they would put apartments there. I think the building should be preserved because it's a piece of history for Cincinnati and for Camp Washington," he said. "They would be good for all the businesses here. The building would be safe and I think it's a great piece of architecture."

        Just up the street, Jeff Loos, who owns Dixie Crane Rental, is looking forward to having the Crosley building occupied again. "I think it's a great idea and (it's) one thing (to) increase property values ... and stop the crime rates (with) just some of the graffiti action we're having problems with in this area," he said.

        Officials with Indianapolis-based Core Redevelopment say they're in the early stages of the project which they expect will be expensive and complicated. They'll also be looking for some state and local tax incentives to help get the project off the ground.

        Core Redevelopment has turned a number of buildings into apartments. The company expects to invest $25 million to $35 million dollars in the Crosley renovation project.

        Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2014
          This is great news and may have been the Crosley Building's only hope. Gorman is a topflight developer and I'm familiar with their work. They redid the ruined Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee into a showcase, and they're about to do a a long-abandoned Elks Club in my hometown of Kenosha into upscale apartments.