Aluminum-bodied historic-modfied Crosley, with a story.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2014

      http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4304921866.html

      This kitbashed car is reputed to have been built by moonlighting Freightliner truck employees without their employer's knowledge in about 1962, though the title is dated 1952 -understandable, because the state may have titled the car accordng to its original date of manufacture.

    • Randy C
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2014

               The vehicle has no room for a 4 cyl Crosley motor as it was built on a Crosley 2 cyl frame. I have some very old photos of it which I will search for that were given to me by my good friend that was the person responsible for building it. He was the Freightliner plant night shift foreman. It was built during idle time as a fun project and is not a serious vehicle. Very crude and odd looking if you see the side profile. The vehicle never had a 2 cyl engine in it and was never driven. I last turned down a chance to purchase it for $400 in 1997. Time has taken its toll on the bare exposed aluminum so doing anything with it's surface would be a labor intense operation. Many aluminum parts do not fit correctly including the top as there were no drawn plans for the body. In person inspections over half a century has soured all who were interested in doing something with it.

          Randy in Portland, Oregon

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 10:58 PM

          Fascinating explanation, Randy; thanks. Hope those photos turn up sometime, and that those night-shift guys didn't get into hot water with the top Freightliner brass....

          The Seagrave and Kenworth folks also built some one-off cars. The Kenworth went to the CEO, and the Seagrave was a sharp little car that was considered for production for a time around 1960.

          Lou