So now we know ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2013
      ... that our generator-water pump couplings are called giubos.

      Edited from Wikipedia:

      A giubo (JOO-boh), sometimes misspelled as 'guibo', is a flexible coupling used to transmit rotational torque between the drive shaft and the companion flange on mechanical devices. Giubos are made from flexible rubber and are designed to allow some angular misalignment in mechanical power transmission applications.

      Input and output shaft flanges are bolted to the giubo on either side so that they're not connected directly to one another but only through the rubber material of the coupling, which must withstand the application's full transmitted torque, for which reason the rubber is often reinforced internally using moulded-in fibre material.

      'Giubo' is a contraction of the Italian word giunto ('joint' or 'coupling') and the surname of the Italian engineer Antonio Boschi (b1896-d1988) who later founded GIUBO SpA, a company solely dedicated to manufacturing couplings.