Re: Running hot

    Message 1 of 14 , May 20 12:22 PM
      The shrouds and also the adgice about removing the side covers and goop in the bottom of the block.  If you haven't done the later you WILL be surprised.  A new thermostate is plenty cheap enough and can be either 160 or 180...you'll be a tad more comfortable in the cooler weather with the higher degree thermostat and it makes no difference really in cooling during the summer once you figure out the problem.

    • Steve Carroll
      Message 2 of 14 , May 20 12:37 PM
        Robert,
        Can i remove those side panels and get in there to clean the poop out with the engine still in the car?
        Steve

        Via iPad

        On May 20, 2013, at 3:22 PM, Robert Kirk <kirkbrit@...> wrote:

        The shrouds and also the adgice about removing the side covers and goop in the bottom of the block.  If you haven't done the later you WILL be surprised.  A new thermostate is plenty cheap enough and can be either 160 or 180...you'll be a tad more comfortable in the cooler weather with the higher degree thermostat and it makes no difference really in cooling during the summer once you figure out the problem.

      • Kenneth Cahill
        Message 3 of 14 , May 20 5:04 PM
           You are right. I just thought maybe an increased duration of driving might have also suddenly occurred. Your suggestions are definitely the first things to try.
          Appreciate your experience and expertise.
          Kenn

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 20, 2013, at 7:19 AM, "Peter Berard" <berard_m@...> wrote:

            ken, this is true.  I have blasted a mess out of derelict
          blocks, but I am responding to the Crosley Cat who had
          a sudden attach of overheating.
          Message 4 of 14 , May 21 4:17 PM
            Of  course you can remove the side cover/s in situ.  If yours is anything like the 6 I have done, you will be amazed at how much lower crud insolation lies there.  This is the result of castings and years of oxidation thus the sludge is very fine particulate.  Depending on how aggresivly you undertake the task, you will probably see damage to the diverter meant to send cooler water in an orientation, and possibly a deteriorated hose nipple.

            Heat of course is at the top combustion area and why these little mighties get along so well over the years but purging the crud can only be a small blessing of salvation for the motor.