Re: =CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB= Re: Running hot

  • Steve Carroll
    Message 1 of 14 , May 19, 2013
      Now that's interesting! I don't remember any shrouds at all.  The car is over at mr remote garage, so I can't pop out right now and check.  Do you guys sell them?
      Steve

      Via iPad

      On May 19, 2013, at 8:24 PM, "butch46988" <butch@...> wrote:

      Has the car got the radiators shrouds (two pieces if cardboard, one on each side of the radiator) installed?

      These are a MUST to keep all of the air going through the radiator, rather than around it.

      Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

      --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, Steve Carroll <steve@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kenneth,
      > The engine did sit for a while in the 60s- 70s, but for the past 15 years or so it has been driven some. Not a lot or for and distance. I'm sure I've put more miles on it the last 2 months than its seen in the lat 10 years.
      >
      > I haven't checked the timing, but the previous owner said he had. It starts and runs great. I suppose I should check it.
      >

      > Via iPad
      >
      > On May 19, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Kenneth Cahill <kcahill@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If this is an engine that has been sitting a long time, the water jacket of the block could also be full of rust and other crud. The radiator could be blocked with crud. The timing could be off, too.
      > > Crosley's offer you many choices.
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On May 19, 2013, at 6:38 AM, "Peter Berard" <berard_m@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >> Insure the water pump is turning, i.e. belt properly tensioned and the rubber coupling behind the generator in good shape.
      > >>
      > >> I'd check the thermostat first.
      > >> Remove and place it in water. Using a thermometer, gradually increase the temp on the stove till ya reach the temp stamped on the stat. It should open fully by the time it reaches that temp, Usually around 160 or so degrees on Crosley stats.
      > >> If this is a sudden change, I doubt the radiator is at fault...................p

    • butch46988
      Message 2 of 14 , May 19, 2013
        Steve,

        Yes we have them in stock.

        Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

        --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, Steve Carroll <steve@...> wrote:

        > Now that's interesting! I don't remember any shrouds at all. The car is over at mr remote garage, so I can't pop out right now and check. Do you guys sell them?
        > Steve
        >
        > Via iPad
        >
        > On May 19, 2013, at 8:24 PM, "butch46988" <butch@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Has the car got the radiators shrouds (two pieces if cardboard, one on each side of the radiator) installed?
        > >
        > > These are a MUST to keep all of the air going through the radiator, rather than around it.
        > >
        > > Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net
        > >
        > > --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, Steve Carroll <steve@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Kenneth,
        > > > The engine did sit for a while in the 60s- 70s, but for the past 15 years or so it has been driven some. Not a lot or for and distance. I'm sure I've put more miles on it the last 2 months than its seen in the lat 10 years.
        > > >
        > > > I haven't checked the timing, but the previous owner said he had. It starts and runs great. I suppose I should check it.
        > > >

        > > > Via iPad

      • Peter Berard
        Message 3 of 14 , May 20, 2013

            ken, this is true.  I have blasted a mess out of derelict
          blocks, but I am responding to the Crosley Cat who had
          a sudden attach of overheating.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 20, 2013

               It can't be a head gasket because there is none on the Crosley, but it could be a crack. Likely the radiator in your case.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 20, 2013
              The shrouds and also the adgice about removing the side covers and goop in the bottom of the block.  If you haven't done the later you WILL be surprised.  A new thermostate is plenty cheap enough and can be either 160 or 180...you'll be a tad more comfortable in the cooler weather with the higher degree thermostat and it makes no difference really in cooling during the summer once you figure out the problem.

            • Steve Carroll
              Message 6 of 14 , May 20, 2013
                Robert,
                Can i remove those side panels and get in there to clean the poop out with the engine still in the car?
                Steve

                Via iPad

                On May 20, 2013, at 3:22 PM, Robert Kirk <kirkbrit@...> wrote:

                The shrouds and also the adgice about removing the side covers and goop in the bottom of the block.  If you haven't done the later you WILL be surprised.  A new thermostate is plenty cheap enough and can be either 160 or 180...you'll be a tad more comfortable in the cooler weather with the higher degree thermostat and it makes no difference really in cooling during the summer once you figure out the problem.

              • Kenneth Cahill
                Message 7 of 14 , May 20, 2013
                   You are right. I just thought maybe an increased duration of driving might have also suddenly occurred. Your suggestions are definitely the first things to try.
                  Appreciate your experience and expertise.
                  Kenn

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 21, 2013
                    Of  course you can remove the side cover/s in situ.  If yours is anything like the 6 I have done, you will be amazed at how much lower crud insolation lies there.  This is the result of castings and years of oxidation thus the sludge is very fine particulate.  Depending on how aggresivly you undertake the task, you will probably see damage to the diverter meant to send cooler water in an orientation, and possibly a deteriorated hose nipple.

                    Heat of course is at the top combustion area and why these little mighties get along so well over the years but purging the crud can only be a small blessing of salvation for the motor.