Crosley clown cars.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2013
      Some circuses sought Crosleys out and so did private clowns, although photos aren't easy to find. but we just added two photos of K-M clowns with a CB-41 from the Kelly-Miller Circus, taken in Washington, Kansas on May 20, 1951. Check New Photos on our CCOC homepage.

      The Kelly-Miller Circus is still going strong, and their clowns today use an SUV.

      Emmett Kelly, Jr. personally owned a '52 CD, and the Ringling Brothers - Barnum & Bailey Circus was rumored to once use a '42 CB-42 Liberty sedan, but photos haven't surfaced.
      The story can now be told how I got my own '42 Liberty Sedan for $600 and coincidentally saved it from being "clowned".

      It was the first Sunday in May of 1981. Jim and Bob Welther would organize some of the Chicagoland-area Crosleys to attend the annual AACA meet at Grayslake, IL on the first Sunday each May (no longer held, unfortunately). A friendly couple showed up from Chicago looking for potential buyers for her late brother's '42. Henry confided in me that another brother-in-law, a part-time clown (who he personally despised, and you might guess where this is going) was the executor charged with disposing of the BIN's estate. The BIN had offered a quick $550 and Henry wanted to stick it to the BIN, so if I could just up that bid a little, wink-wink, poke-poke, nudge-nudge, say-no-more, say-no-more ...

      Things were a bit tough for me at the time but I scraped my last $600 together and closed the deal.