Chance meeting

  • Steve Carroll
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 12:28 PM
      This after noon I was returning from a local car show in the Crosely, and decided to stop at the grocery store for a couple of item on the way home.  When I got out of the car, a lady shouted across the parking lot, "What kind of car is that?"  When I answered a Crosely, she literally jumped up and down saying "I knew it!  I said to myself it had to be a Crosley?"

      Turns out when she was young and living in Miami she had one.  She said "It was a great car and was a real runner."  That term surprised me a little and when I quizzed her about she said, "One summer I drove that little car from Miami to New York City to visit a friend, then back home.  My dad said I'd never make it, but that little car just purred along perfectly the whole way."

      I'm glad I decided to make that unplanned stop on the way home.

      Steve Carroll
      '47 Station Wagon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 4:06 AM
        Steve
        That's a neat story thanks for sharing. The lady you mention was quite a pioneer in her day.  I wonder how many current owners would attempt doing even half that trip.

      • Steve Carroll
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 6:51 AM
          Thanks Robert.  I couldn't help but to click on your web link and I see you're from Davenport.  I grew up in Aledo, il about 30 miles to the south.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8 3:51 AM
            Steve
            Small world.  I was a reporter at WHBF...that's what got me to the QC.