"The Rise and Fall of the Crosley Automobile".

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 7:37 PM
      There's a new comment on "The Rise and Fall Of The Crosley Automobile": http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/america%e2%80%99s-home-grown-kei-car-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-crosley-automobile/

      VanillaDude said "My beloved grandfather owned one, right after WWII. He was a man who liked to get by and spend as little money as possible, so naturally, the Crosley appealed to him. He bought it new and lived to regret that purchase nearly every day he had it.

      Even as a child, decades later, I would watch my grandmother's eyes roll and boil whenever the Crosley came up in discussions. At the time he bought it, he had been just released from military service, had a wife and three kids. He bought up a ladies' wear store that was going out of business, then struggled to turn it around. He needed wheels and thought he found the deal of the Century when he bought the 1948 Crosley wagon.

      Our family was embarrassed by the car. It was so small, my grandma wouldn't allow the kids to ride in it. Understandably, my father and my aunt loved it, being just their size. Riding in it however, made my grandmother unhappy and nervous around Chicago. She believed it was unsafe, and she was right. Every other car towered over them. Wherever they drove in the Crosley, they got laughs from other drivers. My great grandparents were also appalled at it.

      My grandfather's brother offered to buy up the failing ladies' wear business, the Crosley, and begin a chain of men's wear stores in South Chicago. The Crosley was replaced by a nice Nash Ambassador, and the Crosley ended up doing parades in Chicagoland for their stores.

      The engine failed and had to be completely replaced. It started rusting badly within a couple of years. It couldn't be driven on the new Calumet expressway, and couldn't run on cold weather days, which in Chicago, is often. It had no traction in the snow. It had poor heat and no defrost.

      Grandpa had a slew of cars, many of them complete lemons. His list of losers starts with the Crosley and his last one was a lemon filled Jeep Cherokee. He always loved his cars stripped down and simple, as though he was a Mennonite. He liked automotive values, so he was always a sucker for the cheapest rides in the dealerships. I can't even begin the stories about his GM X-car Olds Omega!

      So, I've always been aware of the Crosleys, and have always understood them to be impractical, dangerous and poorly built - based on family lore."

      http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/america%e2%80%99s-home-grown-kei-car-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-crosley-automobile/#comments