Legislative alerts:

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2012

      PACIFIC COAST MEMBERS:
      California Governor Jerry Brown has signed into law the "California Legacy License Plate Program", where CalDOT will issue new black replica plates from the past. Previously, only old plates were allowed.

      =======

      E15:
      The U.S. Court of Appeals dismissed a lawsuit challenging EPA's authority to permit 15% ethanol (E15) content in gasoline for ’01 and newer model year cars and light trucks. The EPA already raised the amount of ethanol in gasoline from 10% (E10) to 15% (E15) and it may soon appear at a gas station near us despite scientific evidence that it causes corrosion with incompatible parts. There's now legislation in Congress (H.R. 3199) that would prevent the EPA from permitting E15 sales until the National Academies has conducted a study on how E15 may impact gas-powered vehicles. That bill has been approved by the U.S. House Science Committee and is pending on the House floor. It is important that congressional lawmakers hear from us on this important issue. The CCOC has been vocal on this potentially-harmful issue from the start.

      In today’s busy world, too many of us have free time, so we tend to use that limited resource doing things we enjoy, such as working on or driving our Crosleys. We may tend to overlook legislation that could directly affect our cars and only learn of the negative impact of new laws and regulations on our hobby after the fact. We'll keep everyone posted.

      The 4th Annual Collector Car Appreciation Day will be celebrated on July 12, 2013 to raise awareness of the role automotive restoration and collection plays in society. The U.S. Senate helped launch Collector Car Appreciation Day by passing pro-vintage car resolutions each year. There'll be open houses, cruises, meets and educational events to mark the annual commemoration, and now it's spread to Canada and Australia.

      (There was a great CCAD event here in Kenosha this past July 13.)

      Senators Jon Tester (D-MT) and Richard Burr (R-NC) have been strong advocates for the hobby in Washington to encourage the Feds to recognize the role collector cars play in fostering national appreciation for their unique place in our history.