Alert: Feds want to allow 15% alcohol in our fuel.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2012
      The U.S. Court of Appeals has dismissed a lawsuit challenging EPA authority to permit 15% ethanol (E15) content in gasoline "for 2001 and newer model year cars and light trucks".

      This fuel may soon appear at a gas station near us. There's scientific evidence that it causes corrosion with incompatible parts. Pending congressional legislation (H.R. 3199) would prevent the EPA from permitting E15 sales until a study on how E15 may impact gas-powered vehicles is finished. H.R. 3199 has been approved by the U.S. House Science Committee and is pending on the House floor, but time is short before the fall elections, it is important that lawmakers hear from us, as this gasoline will certainly find its way into our Crosley fuel tanks.

      Ethanol increases water formation that causes formic acid and corrodes metals, plastics and rubber. Our Crosleys were not constructed with corrosion-resistant materials that can tolerate the higher temperatures at which E15 burns.

      The EPA acknowledges this and made it "illegal" to put E15 in pre-2001 vehicles, but will only rely on a gas-pump label cautioning motorists not to misfuel 74 million older vehicles. We've all complained for years about damage caused by E10, which is now in over 90% of gas sold in the U.S.

      When our cars are stored, corrosion has time to damage the engine, fuel line, fuel tank and exhaust systems when classic cars are infrequently driven. The risk of corrosion is then 50 percent.

      Studies aren't concluded about E15 materials compatibility, tailpipe emissions and fuel efficiency.

      H.R. 3199 would stop the sale of E15 until the National Academies has conducted a study on how gasoline blended with 15 to 20% ethanol may impact gas-powered vehicles.

      Contact your members of Congress immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support of HR 3199. To identify your federal Representative and Senators: http://semasan.com/lookup.asp?g=semaga

      The CCOC is officially going on record in favor of HR 3199.