Crosley Radio today.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2012
      Crosley Radio is benefiting from the growing desire for attractive, vintage-style home turntables and is also keeping the famous name alive.

      While Crosley Radio is based in Louisville, it owns the rights to the famous electronics company founded in Cincinnati in 1920 by Powel Crosley, Jr. In fact, a large WLW Crosley Radio sign once proudly hovered from atop the company's now-decrepit Camp Washington factory. A photo of it is on our CCOC 'Crosley Factories' album and the Crosley Radio website.

      The current company started making Crosley radios in the early 1990s, and all-in-one phonographs with turntables, amplifiers, speakers and radios several years later. The turntable business has boomed in the last five years – 500,000 units annually, says Bo LeMastus, Crosley Radio's CEO. "They've been really strong in the past five years. The new interest in vinyl has translated into buying more record players," he said.

      They're not exact replicas of the phonographs introduced by Crosley in the 1940s and continued after Avco bought him out in 1946 before shutting down the entire brand line in 1956, but they have modern features that Powel Crosley himself may never have dreamed of – CD players, cassette decks, remote control and USB-adaptable circuitry.

      "We use some of the original cabinetry and get a lot of romance out of the dial, and we try to replicate some of the grille material as close as we can," LeMastus said. "Our older 60+ customers like looking at the warm wood and the vintage cabinets and want that to be true to the original. The younger demographic wants some of that look but also cares about the performance aspect."

      Crosley Radio electronic products are on display at www.crosleyradio.com. The company will fill catalog requests to this address: 1220 E Oak St., Louisville, Ky., 40204