The Roberts Family's CC station wagon in 1949.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      I got one in 1949 through a friend in Manhattan, Kansas, who owned and operated a moving and storage business. I was a teacher in the Manhattan school district, and a bicycle had been my mode of transportation. My friend was interested in buying a car and talked with a salesman who had two inexpensive cars for sale. My friend wanted to know if I'd buy one if he hauled it from Kansas City, and I said yes. Each car cost less than $1,000 and those two Crosleys were the only ones I ever saw of that make and model. The car was small but served my family well for two years. We took several long vacation trips, and our children, Annie and Jim, were small and tolerant of the limited space in the rear seat. The car was tightly built and waterproof. Once we encountered a flash flood, but the car floated down the street and got us homeb safe and sound. My students also enjoyed riding in it. Four or five of them thought it was fun to pick it up and place it on the sidewalk or lawn.

      O. Douglas Roberts, Round Rock, Texas