1940: Crosley Offers Army Light Auto, 7/10/2012, 12:00 am

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
      There wasn't a "Crosley Cincinnati", Derick; the Yahoo calendars are being "improved" (!) and they ran the word 'Crosley' together with the place where the announcement was made on this day in 1940, that being Cincinnati. Here's the full article:

      Crosley Offers Army Light Auto
      CINCINNATI, July 10 — A small automobile which its builder claims can carry four soldiers with full equipment at 50 miles an hour on one gallon of gasoline was poised for demonstration here today.
      Powel Crosley jr., designer and head of the corporation, said the vehicle already had been shown to army officials at Camp Holabird, Md.
      The car, designed for either light transport or scouting purposes, is powered with an aircooled, opposed-cylinder type engine."

      Crosley built several prototype 2/3-sized Jeep-looking military cars, and some still exist, but the word most commonly associated with them is "Pup".

      They were light and designed to be parachuted into the field, and were promoted that way to the military in tests, but the military wasn't sufficiently impressed and so orders weren't forthcoming. I don't believe any ever actually made it into action. There may have been some statewide demonstrations where the Pups were parachuted, but I haven't seen any photos of it. (The one Crosley military offering that was ordered in quantity wasn't a vehicle but the proximity fuze.)

      We have a good collection of Crosley military prototypes in our photo albums.

      PS: While the anniversary reminders are still being truncated for now, we can still read the full version by clicking on the calendar for that day.

      =Lou=