Virus alert.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2012
      Happy Monday, CCOCers. Here's something on the following Internet development that I'm passing on to our fellow CCOC Crosleyphiles: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/dnschanger.asp

      A computer virus is reported to threaten access to the internet beginning today, July 9, 2012, the "DNS (Domain Name Services) Changer", a Trojan virus that modifies your PC settings without your knowledge in order to divert you to a malicious website that increases the number of web-hits on ads so the operators can make more money. This virus has been halted by the FBI, which arrested those responsible. The FBI is now in control of the hacker's website and will shut down the hackers' site today. Those computers infected with the virus will show an 'error' message when trying to access the Web beginning today, July 9.

      Click http://www.dns-ok.us/ and if the background is green, you're safe; if the background is red, the repair is available at http://www.dcwg.org/fix/ . For more information, search DNS CHANGER.

      The FBI shut down some fraudulent servers last year and replacement servers continued routing from the infected users computers. Antivirus companies fixed their customers' computers but non-protected computers never got the fix. Those replacement replacement servers were due to be shut down soon.

      The general rule: turn off all auto-updates and ignore "WARNING" alerts except for those from Symantec.
      =Lou=

      The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.       Robert Anthony