Transcript from TV12 report on the Crosley Building.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2012
      (News anchor:) "The owner of part of Cincinnati's glorious industrial history has been ordered to clean his building up, tear it down, or face possible jail time. The building is the Crosley Building, named after Powel Crosley, a big name from the Queen City's past. The blighted building is easily visible from I-75 in Camp Washington. And as Local 12 News reporter Jeff Hirsh tells us, the community wants something a lot nicer to look at."

      (Hirsh:) "When it first opened in 1928, the Crosley building was a symbol of Cincinnati's industrial might and the home of Powel Crosley's manufacturing empire that included refrigerators, cars and radios. That glory is gone. It's just a huge eyesore that people look at and think Camp Washington is on the decline. Vacant for years, the Crosley building attracts vandals and graffiti instead of jobs and taxes. Neighbors are fed up. (Neighbor:) "Oh, so there's gotta be hundreds of windows in the building, and it looks like at least 50 percent of them are broken. I'd say yeah, and not just by ne'er-do-wells. The wind, like all these right here. This is ridiculous."

      (Hirsh:) "The past and present of this building are represented just a few feet apart. Over a doorway is the Crosley logo, symbol of a once proud and successful company. But right near it is a notice from the city that says the building is unsafe and has to be barricaded or torn down. The city has charged the building's owner, Northern Kentucky businessman David Hosea, with failing to comply with fix-up orders. The city says the Crosley building is abandoned, hazardous, blighted and unfit for habitation, and the owner could get six months in jail if the building is not secured or demolished. Neighbors, and the just plain curious, hope the building can be rehabbed. Sean Thompson was here just taking pictures. Thompson says "It's such a cool architectural building. It seems nobody cared about it until it got tagged with graffiti and broken windows. I guess it's nice they're interested in it now, at least somebody is. Hopefully it will get back to its former glory."

      (Hirsh:) "But renovation for industry, office, or even urban farming could cost $24 million. Nobody's got that now. The community hopes for a public-private partnership. "We would love to see the building saved as an homage to Powel Crosley and the history of his whole business enterprise."

      (Anchor:) "The Hamilton County Treasurer's Office says David Hosea's company, which is actually listed as the owner of the Crosley building, owes $168,000 in delinquent taxes on the property. We tried reaching Hosea, but were told he was not available. We asked for another representative to call us back, but no one did."