USS Iowa tour Saturday.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2012
      From: Chris Thompson
      Subject: Lappert's Ice Cream Social and Special USS Iowa Tour Times/Directions
      Date: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:45 PM

       Hello all!

      Well, this week has been a ride!
      For those of you who don't yet know about the USS Iowa Battleship tour and Lappert's Ice Cream Social this email should give you all the information that you will need to know. What started out as a casual invite to partake in a very special behind the scenes, after hours tour of the Battleship USS Iowa before she leaves for her permanent home in SoCal has become quite the kickoff event for the 'Car Season'!!

      Starting @ 1pm on Saturday the 25th most will meet here at my shop in Richmond for an Ice Cream Social sponsored by Lappert's Ice Cream. While not a judged Concours event by any scope of the imagination we expect a TON of very interesting cars to be on display since we now have members from five different car clubs attending! Lappert's has generously donated Ice Cream for all that have RSVP'd and there are a LOT of you!

      I suggest that you arrive as close to 1pm (or slightly earlier if you want) as possible to assure a good display parking space for your ride and to make sure that you get some ice cream! We will only have a short time to kick some tires and tell some lies because we will all be leaving the shop, parade style, promptly @ 3:15 for the five minute drive to the ship. The Iowa folks need us to be there just before they close to the public for our event. People will be broken up into groups of 10 or so for escorted tours of this very famous ship by some savvy Naval Architect types and Veterans. We will get to see some of the areas that the public hasn't seen since....forever I would imagine. It was a warship after all.....

      Here are directions that while not the most direct or shortest, are fairly easy and take you through better neighborhoods than some in Richmond. Some GPS units have a mind of their own when it comes to getting people here....
      EASTBOUND OFF OF HIGHWAY 80
      Past Berkeley and El Cerrito, Exit MacDonald Ave, west and curve around back under the freeway west. The streets that you will be crossing are numbered and are counting down. On the right hand side you'll note 27th and on your left 27th becomes Broadway. Turn left there on Broadway, (big Catholic church on the corner) and as it shoots off at an angle, you'll deadhead at Carlson and 23rd. My building is on your right and go around the corner onto 23rd and you'll see the big black gate leading into the yard for displaying the cars.
      WESTBOUND OFF OF HIGHWAY 80
      Exit San Pablo Ave/Barrett Ave. (not San Pablo Dam Rd....) turn right at the bottom of the ramp onto Barrett and head west. The streets that you will be crossing are numbered and are counting down. You'll note 27th and you need to turn left. In a couple of blocks 27th becomes Broadway. Continue straight across onto Broadway, (big Catholic church on the corner) and as it shoots off at an angle, you'll deadhead at Carlson and 23rd. My building is on your right and go around the corner onto 23rd and you'll see the big black gate leading into the yard for displaying the cars.

      There are other routes to be sure but these directions take you through better neighborhoods and have fewer turns so that you won't get lost. If you do....I can be reached at 510.232.8833.

      Address:
      23rd & Broadway Auto Center
      51C Broadway, Main Entrance on 23rd
      Richmond, CA 94804
      510.232.8833
      510.232.8837f
      Chris@...

      Cars are going to be on display in the yard in front of my shop. Please back into any available spot on either side of the yard as we are going to try and leave an aisle down the middle and as close as you can to your neighbor but be respectful of course. We have a lot of cars coming and want to squeeze in as many as possible. My son Pierce will be in the yard directing traffic as usual. We will be handing out name-tags for all to put their name, their car and their car club on so all can meet and greet.

      For those of you who haven't RSVP'd yet for the Ice Cream Social part, THERE IS STILL TIME! I need to give Lappert's a head count by the end of today and REALLY don't want to run out of ice cream! If we do however, there are still cars to gawk at without ice cream and then there is that big boat....

      I have available some overflow parking but would like to be prepared if you know what I mean.
      Thanks for all your support and looking forward to making some new friends and seeing some very unusual cars as always at these events.

      Thanks again!

      Chris Thompson