Re: =CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB= Re: Danai's Crosley

  • Peter Berard
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2012
      Hey Robert,

       Hummmm, I don't think it was lacquer because I'd have remembered my sore arms from the rubbing. I have to guess Dad would have laid the clear on after a setting measured period for the black.  For sure we didn't sand between finishes.

        No, I'd have to say it was synthetic enamel of some sorts. Dad was born in 1898 and spent most of his adult life in the car repair and body shop business. He was up to date with all the tricks.  Hip? The results were truly outstanding.  He made a study of painting.

      Having seen the results of  a real lacquer job done in 1982 on my TD, there would be no comparison in the perceived depth.  Dad didn't do this one because he died in 76.  Unbeknownst to most, true lacquer is made from insects.  Yah, bugs.  Luster is supreme and glass like with lacquer properly done, but the depth ain't gonna be close to what I'm talkin'.

         Now illegal, I have a quart for touch-up lac on the TD, but unfortunately, she's now needing a repaint. One of the side affects of bug juice is it continues to cure, never stopping. Just like concrete, eventually it will crack and fail in numerous ways.
      Breaks my heart.
      Life's that way...........p